Unanswered: Paradox 3.5 to USB Port

I'm trying to update my equipment but keep my Paradox 3.5. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any recognition between 3.5 and USB ports.

Anybody have any idea of a script my programmer could come up with to re-direct the report printing to the USB port?

Henry

If i understood it right, you're trying to print a report to an USB printer from Paradox DOS 3.5.

If this is really the case, i advise you not to change your PdoxDos app, instead try activating the printer port capture feature of windows.

Printer port capturing functions this way: all the bytes that your dos app sends thru the LPTx port get rerouted to a windows print job on the selected printer.

If you can tell me what version of windows you're using, i'll tell you how to setup that.

Bye!
    The only failure is not trying to do it.

Thank you so much for that idea.

I'm using Windows XP (Home Edition) with a Lexmark X83 printer connected via a USB port, the dos app is in Paradox 3.5.

I appreciate the help.

Henry

You should use a little trick: share your printer on your LAN, then run this command from a command prompt:

NET USE LPTx: \\<computer_name>\<printer_share_name> /PERSISTENT:YES

That would permanently connect the LPTx: port with the shared printer, which by the way will be on the same pc...

then you sholud print correctly on the LPTx: port from any DOS app...

Bye!

I'm not on a LAN, so can I still do this the same way.

Thanks.

Sure you can!

The trick is just that: You share your printer to yourself... and then capture the port to the shared printer!

Try it!