Unanswered: Data Access Pages with custom login

Hi there!!

This is my first posting to this site, so please be gentle!!!

I am currently trying to create a small Access database to hold Reports, that will be accessed through a Data Access Page on an intranet, and allow:

* All USERs to access all records in a READ-ONLY capacity.

*All USERs to READ/WRITE to reports written by themselves.

*An ADMINISTRATOR to READ/WRITE all records.

I was hoping to do this by using a custom user login to identify the currentuser, then to configure READ-ONLY and/or READ/WRITE access privileges to the user's own records AND to other user's records based upon the currentuser's login.

The two problems I have right now are:

1. These records are currently all stored on the same REPORTS table, and I was hoping to use a field called 'UserID' that would be assigned automatically to any report record created by a particular user which would be the same as their login UserName. With the login name attached to the record, it can then be written to only by that user when they use the same login later. (Not sure if this is actually possble, I think it would need some code to try matching the data in the UserName field on the REPORTS table to the CURRENTUSER name before allowing WRITE access).

2. I ultimately intend to convert the login screen which is currently a FORM into a Data Access Page. (Not sure if it is possible for a DAP to serve as a login window that can confirm who the currentuser is and define their access privileges).

Sorry if this all sounds a bit hard to follow, but if anyone can confirm whether or not these 2 objectives are possible or provide a link to any help on the subject, I would be eternally grateful!!!!

Cheers,

Luke

The first solution you point out might be a good solution. After asking the username, you can search all records related to that username by filtering the query. Obviously that is not unbreakable, I mean not secure. If you want to create a password protected form or report try and see Q209871 in Microsoft Product Support service
    Marco
    ---Do not send e-mail---
    "New Big Bang Theory: God said unzip universe"

Thanks for your relpy Marco!!

The database will be held within a secure intranet, so the 'security' aspect doesn't need to be 'hacker-proof' or anything, it's mostly just to stop regular users with no knowledge of Access (or how to bypass the security measures) from meddling with each other's reports.

The real trick I think will be to get the security login to work on a Data Access Page, and then to filter the records available when the regular user attempts to edit/delete them down to only the user's own records.

I have a feeling it should be possible, but my knowledge of Access is limited, and I've only just become aquainted with Data Access Pages (which are the only solution I am aware of that will definately allow multiple users to access a single Access database over an Intranet dynamically and create/read/edit/delete records)

You can share your db on the intranet like I did. Just split database into FE and BE, distribute the front end, use an absolute link to external tables (BE) and your done. You can secure the database using the security wizard... but security will apply to specific forms, reports, table or any object in your db. You can almost do anything that way.

Second way round: use dreamweaver to connect your intranet to the db (ODBC will do) and use ASP to secure your db and access to objects (which will be asp pages - nothing related to Access anymore - Access will be again sort of BE).

I actually did both things on 'my' intranet and works perfectly for the so called low computer(ed) brain in my office (if they can mess up they will, if they cannot the will!)

Hope this helps, but if you need to go into detail tell me.

Cheers
    Marco
    ---Do not send e-mail---

You can share your db on the intranet like I did. Just split database into FE and BE, distribute the front end, use an absolute link to external tables (BE) and your done.
    This is probably the approach I would take! The only possible problem is that the FE would need to be a single file that would be linked to from a menu page on the intranet. All users would then access the file using the same menu link from their browser.

Would this work? And if so, would it work in a similar way to using a Data Access Page?

Cheers,

Luke

If you use solution number 1, no browser is involved. Infact all the client must have access installed, or at least the exe which comes with e.g. Office 2000 small business edition. That version is not complete but allow to run dbs on clients. If you still want to share the db via browser (e.g. internet explorer) I advise you to do it with Macromedia Dreamweaver or similar in asp.
    Marco
    ---Do not send e-mail---

Just to be difficult, I have a new problem that must be added to this query...

I just did a test and although Data Access Pages work successfully with MS Access 2002 on my PC and allowed me to use a simple form on a DAP to create and edit some records on a .mdb stored on the intranet, I did another test to check if ASP could run from a .asp page on the intranet and I discovered that a basic ASP script to get the time/date from the PC will not run on Internet Explorer on my PC!!

I now assume that the intranet server is not set up for running ASP.

Therefore, I am probably limited to using only MS Access 2002 and Data Access Pages. Do you believe with these limitations it is still possible to create an application that includes:

- Multiple User Logins with different READ/WRITE access to their own records, but READ ONLY access to other User's records.

- The ability to VIEW/CREATE/EDIT/DELETE records from the Data Access Page.

I am worried now that I will not have the necessary components available to complete this job, can you tell me if it is possible to do all this just with Access and the DAPs (what language do the DAPs use? and can I expand the features of the DAPs using it?), or would I need to apply some additional ASP to perform these advanced functions?
    Last edited by Lukasx; 08-28-03 at 08:04.

Originally posted by Lukasx
    Just to be difficult, I have a new problem that must be added to this query...

I just did a test and although Data Access Pages work successfully with MS Access 2002 on my PC and allowed me to use a simple form on a DAP to create and edit some records on a .mdb stored on the intranet, I did another test to check if ASP could run from a .asp page on the intranet and I discovered that a basic ASP script to get the time/date from the PC will not run on Internet Explorer on my PC!!

I now assume that the intranet server is not set up for running ASP.

Therefore, I am probably limited to using only MS Access 2002 and Data Access Pages. Do you believe with these limitations it is still possible to create an application that includes:

- Multiple User Logins with different READ/WRITE access to their own records, but READ ONLY access to other User's records.

- The ability to VIEW/CREATE/EDIT/DELETE records from the Data Access Page.

I am worried now that I will not have the necessary components available to complete this job, can you tell me if it is possible to do all this just with Access and the DAPs (what language do the DAPs use? and can I expand the features of the DAPs using it?), or would I need to apply some additional ASP to perform these advanced functions?
    This must be a server problem. Authorize asp on the web server.

I don't understand why you want to use data access pages and not simple tables and forms structure. But that is not my concern! :-)

If you use access security you can limit use of specific objects of the db. Let's say for example: mr. Smith can't use that form or report while mr. Collins can and the opposite. So you have to build specific form to enter data or specific queries to retrieve data entered by a certain user. Obviously you have to specify in the table which user added the record.

It's not really easy to explain, it's up to you now which way to use, but onestly I can't go into detail because the problem is so vast that without examples can't be explain, at least by me.
    Marco
    ---Do not send e-mail---

Wink

Thanks for your help Marco, I appreciate your input!!! I'll keep working on it further!

Cheers,

Luke