Unanswered: linking databases

Hi All,

There's probably something really obvious that I'm not doing but, I need to link a SQL database to another already existing database, and it will return the fields in the old database that I already have

Thanks,

Ethan

Re: linking databases

Do you mean link 2 tables? If so create a query with the 2 tables and inner join each field from one table to the other, the records returned are matches. Is this what you meant?

Or do you mean to match the DB structures? In this case, you will have to write some code, using ADO's OpenSchema function.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler! - A. Einstein
    DB Problems? DB Explorer, BTrieve Re-engineering, DB Conversions & ETL? Conversion Tool

Originally posted by DoktorBlue
    Or do you mean to match the DB structures? In this case, you will have to write some code, using ADO's OpenSchema function.
    No I have a separate mdf I want to link to an existing database, but the when I go to link them through "get external data" it only shows the tables that were in the orginal database.

Originally posted by ethan
    No I have a separate mdf I want to link to an existing database, but the when I go to link them through "get external data" it only shows the tables that were in the orginal database.

Get External data? Are you sure, you have chosen the Link option, and not the import option?
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler! - A. Einstein
    DB Problems? DB Explorer, BTrieve Re-engineering, DB Conversions & ETL? Conversion Tool

I'm pretty sure, I've gone through the process a few times with the same result.