Unanswered: Visual Basic and Unix

Hi,

Could anybody please tell me how to execute a UNIX command/shell script from Visual Basic 6 and retrieve the output back to VB ? Ex: Execute a "grep" command and capture the output in VB to make further processing at the client level.

Many thanks,

Srinivas.

Re: Visual Basic and Unix

Originally posted by g_srinivas
    Hi,

Could anybody please tell me how to execute a UNIX command/shell script from Visual Basic 6 and retrieve the output back to VB ? Ex: Execute a "grep" command and capture the output in VB to make further processing at the client level.

Many thanks,

Srinivas.
    Hi,

If these working with data bases, created a store procedure that the
    command executes system ("script") and gives back the result.
    Then you execute from VB, the connection to the base and soon the SPL.

Gustavo.

Hi Gustavo,

I'm not talking about database here. What I need is a way to bring to the VB application the response or output of a command that would be executed in UNIX.

It is NOT like executing the command(s) via a shell script, storing the output in a file, then bringing it to the client by FTP and then processing it. It has to be instant ie., fire a command, read the output and then fire the next command based on that output. Hope you get what I mean.

I know that this could be achieved by Winsock. But the problem is I do not know how to do it. There are a few examples and tutorials available in the net, but I couldn't find any example on what I have stated above.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway

Regards,

Srinivas.

Originally posted by gurey
    Hi,

If these working with data bases, created a store procedure that the
    command executes system ("script") and gives back the result.
    Then you execute from VB, the connection to the base and soon the SPL.

Gustavo.

Originally posted by g_srinivas
    Hi Gustavo,

I'm not talking about database here. What I need is a way to bring to the VB application the response or output of a command that would be executed in UNIX.

It is NOT like executing the command(s) via a shell script, storing the output in a file, then bringing it to the client by FTP and then processing it. It has to be instant ie., fire a command, read the output and then fire the next command based on that output. Hope you get what I mean.

I know that this could be achieved by Winsock. But the problem is I do not know how to do it. There are a few examples and tutorials available in the net, but I couldn't find any example on what I have stated above.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway

Regards,

Srinivas.
    Hi Srinivas,

OK, now if your you can execute a commando of the operating system where this running VB, then you need remote shell (command remsh) that allows you to execute remote commandos between different machine.
    I that they exist utilitarian that runs in Windows which they are such
    commandos who in UNIX. This to help yuo.

Good luk !!

Gustavo.