Unanswered: ingres version 6.4

Hi, whenever we apply the new license for ingres 6.4 we face the problem that one database or other doesnot come-up. What is the possible reason for it and how can we overcome.
    Currently the problem we are facing is that we are unable to connect to a database and the error message is 'the configuration file is not compatible'.
    Any reply will be appreciated.
    Thanks

It's been a while since I used Ingres 6.4, but ....stupid question... does the version of the license match the version of Ingres you're using (trust me on this, suppliers sometimes supply the wrong license files). Best to check this very obvious option first.

Thanks for you reply!. If it is a license problem then, I suspect, none of the databases should work. Anyway, the error reported is "DM928b --- Configuration file is not compatible with the current version of Ingres. Config version=%0d.%1d, Ingres Version=%2d.%3d. Do you think the error could be due to a wrong licnse?

It sounds like it. The only thing you changed was the license. Before that, everything was OK. So, it's very probably the license....

Does 6.4 have a limit on the number of concurrent user/databases/something similar that can be opened?

It sounds like it is not always 1 database, but could be 1 of several, or even more than 1. That seems to rule out database corruption, or you'd expect that the same db would fail every time. Sounds like number of concurrent connections or something like that.... does your Ingres license limit this in any way? Ask CA?

You are right the only thing we changed is the Ingres License. So may as well be that the license string directly or in some way like ... concurrent users limit, or possibly some other limit may have caused it (we would check with CA).

But one last question ... lets say if the license was scheduled to expire on 27th August, what would have been the ideal time to apply the new license. In other words should we have applied the license on 27th morning itself or we should wait that the system abdruptly reports that license has expired and then we apply the license?

There should be no problem applying the license as soon as you receive it. Best to do it before the expiry of the old license, then you get no unscheduled service interruption.

Ingres 6.4 had a licence string that you typed in an enviromental variable - you should see it with ingprenv - Is this how you installed this licence?

It has been a few years since I worked with 6.4 - but I don't remember there being a config file with 6.4 - this was introduced with OpenIngres 1.0 when you use licenceIT to get a lrf file of CA for your machine. If you have a lrf file, then this method of licencing will not work - it is not compatable.
    Regards
    Dbabren

Correct 6.4 does not use a config file. License keys have to be updated in the environment variables and the script file the name of which at the moment escapes me and I don't have a 6.4 installation I can peek at.

Apply your new license as soon as you get it. You want to test the authorization sting because in my experience they can be wrong a lot of the time and there is no way I know of to test them except to call and ask for the string to be checked and they can tell you things like the date it will expire etc.

Did you try putting the old string back and see if the error message goes away? I have seen some error messages in the past related to bad or expired license keys which on the surface didn't appear to be license issues.

I would call tech support and ask them to check the string.

Was going through this post and would recall a similar plight I faced when I used Ingres 6.4. License Key was a headache and I lost some data for good as the system did not come up once the license was applied.

I think if you are still using Ingres 6.4, carefully apply the license at least a few days before expiry and test the systems. I think as the new key will take effect only when you restart ingres, so it is better to restart the ingres at least a few days before expiry. Its a good idea to backup your data prior to shutting down Ingres.