Question Unanswered: Linking to .dbf file

I am trying to link to a .dbf file (I think its probably a DB 5 file but not sure). THe file is being used by a caller ID program, and so that program has the file open. I am trying to link to the same table using access but it keeps telling me that the file is in use.

I can link to this file using Access 97, but using access XP, or even access 2000, it doesnt let me.

Its something to do with record locking I think.

If you need any more details please let me know.

Re: Linking to .dbf file

I have the same problem - resolved by using Access instead of DBase for my source files. (A little trickier to create, but then all the code is MS so Bill should be happy.)

With whatever app you use to access it, you must access it shared. If the caller id app has the table opened exclusively, unless you can figure out how to get that app to use the table shared, you will be out of luck. Since you said you were able to access the table in one version of Access but not others, I'm guessing the table is currently open shared.
    Anyway, here are some example connection strings that may help:

dBase/FoxPro free table:
    "Driver={Microsoft dBASE Driver (*.dbf)};DriverID=277;Dbq=c:\mydbpath;"

Visual FoxPro free table:
    "Driver={Microsoft Visual FoxPro Driver};SourceType=DBF;SourceDB=c:\myvfpdbfolder;E xclusive=No;Collate=Machine;"

Even more Fox stuff at

Bristol, England

Re: Linking to .dbf file

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by winbourne
    Hi winbourne,

Have you tried simply importing each dBase .DBF file into an Access database? Access 2000 and XP do give some problems, but 97 should be OK.
    Last edited by taxes; 01-05-04 at 08:28.

There should be an option on the attach-step for "open exclusive." However, ".DBF" file formats vary widely despite the identical-looking name, and so do the various drivers used to access them. If the wrong driver is used, perhaps it has locked-out incompatible drivers by locking the file exclusively?
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the