Question Unanswered: Oracle Blocking after Inserts

We have a subsidiary which is having an Oracle problem. They are not under our group's area of responsibility and behind a firewall for security reasons, so I have no direct access to their db. We've volunteered to take a look, but this means a drive over to their site and a new environment for me. They run 9i on a solaris unix platform whereas we are 8i on NT. I'm trying to get as much info together before I travel there to look at the problem.

They report:
    After an insertion of about 50'000 records, I can not open a connection. For example, when I try to execute sqlplus it is blocked.
    Process ora_ckpt_<SID> is now about 20 hours CPU.
    It is also impossible to shutdown IMMEDIATE the database as sysdba, the command is blocked.

I don't understand why this would affect connections. It seems like a locking/blocking issue, but I can't find any similar scenario to go on. There is no ORA-xxxxx error reported either.

Any ideas on what to check?

THANKS

Re: Oracle Blocking after Inserts

It looks like instance is locked.
    Is database running in archivelog mode by any chance? If so is there enough disk space for archived logs? If not, then archiver hungs and whole instance is waiting for it to resume operation.

Check it,

Jacek

Originally posted by jayharper
    We have a subsidiary which is having an Oracle problem. They are not under our group's area of responsibility and behind a firewall for security reasons, so I have no direct access to their db. We've volunteered to take a look, but this means a drive over to their site and a new environment for me. They run 9i on a solaris unix platform whereas we are 8i on NT. I'm trying to get as much info together before I travel there to look at the problem.

They report:
    After an insertion of about 50'000 records, I can not open a connection. For example, when I try to execute sqlplus it is blocked.
    Process ora_ckpt_<SID> is now about 20 hours CPU.
    It is also impossible to shutdown IMMEDIATE the database as sysdba, the command is blocked.

I don't understand why this would affect connections. It seems like a locking/blocking issue, but I can't find any similar scenario to go on. There is no ORA-xxxxx error reported either.

Any ideas on what to check?

THANKS