Unanswered: backup over a mapped drive

I am trying to take a backup on a remote drive. Platform is Windows2000/NT, DB2 V 7.2

The database is on a machine which has less space, so it cant contain the backup image.
    So, I'm trying to route the backup to a remote machine which has enough space.

I've mapped a folder of the remote machine to my database server's E: drive.
    From Control center, I'm going to the BackUp option . On browsing the location for this backup, as soon as I click on E:, its giving me error window with- DBA2049 "A system Error Occured. File Access was denied."

The folder has share permissions.

I dont know what I'm trying to do is possible or not(storing the backup image directly on a remote machine). If anyone knows , please let me know.

Thanks in Advance,
    -Preeti

Re: backup over a mapped drive

AFAIk, you cannot backup to a remote directory ..

Sathyaram

Originally posted by preetim
    I am trying to take a backup on a remote drive. Platform is Windows2000/NT, DB2 V 7.2

The database is on a machine which has less space, so it cant contain the backup image.
    So, I'm trying to route the backup to a remote machine which has enough space.

I've mapped a folder of the remote machine to my database server's E: drive.
    From Control center, I'm going to the BackUp option . On browsing the location for this backup, as soon as I click on E:, its giving me error window with- DBA2049 "A system Error Occured. File Access was denied."

The folder has share permissions.

I dont know what I'm trying to do is possible or not(storing the backup image directly on a remote machine). If anyone knows , please let me know.

Thanks in Advance,
    -Preeti
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

It is also documented at "Command Reference":
    "TO dir/dev
    A list of directory or tape device names. The full path on which the directory resides must be specified. The target must reside on the database server."
    Rodney Krick

Thanks a lot for your answers. That makes it clear to me that taking a backup on a remote target is not allowed.

Thanks,
    -Preeti

Does anyone know if this has changed in 8.2 fixpack 10?
    ------------
    And back to SQL Server....I always find my way home
    View my Linkedin profile

maybe not, the behaviors are not always change. fixpak only fix the APARs
    IBM Certified DBA for DB2 UDB
    IBM Certified Database Developer for DB2 UDB
    DB2 Tech Support, IBM Toronto Software Lab