Unanswered: sql enterprise manager - copy table

Hi,

I can't work out how to easily copy a table through sql enterprise manager including all data structure and the data ... I tried exporting one table then importing it into another but it wont transfer any of the actual data. I don't feel like retyping all 6000 records and I need somehow duplicate this table ... any ideas ???????

Cheers

Re: sql enterprise manager - copy table

Open your table (all rows), open SQL panel, and add the INTO clause. It should look like:

SELECT *
    INTO OrderCopy
    FROM Orders
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler! - A. Einstein
    DB Problems? DB Explorer, BTrieve Re-engineering, DB Conversions & ETL? Conversion Tool

Re: sql enterprise manager - copy table

Originally posted by DoktorBlue
    Open your table (all rows), open SQL panel, and add the INTO clause. It should look like:

SELECT *
    INTO OrderCopy
    FROM Orders
    And if it is from on DB to another it would be

SELECT *
    INTO <TABLE_CATALOG>.<TABLE_SCHEMA>.Order
    FROM <TABLE_CATALOG>.<TABLE_SCHEMA>.Orders
    Jim P.

Supoorting Oracle, MSSQL7, Sybase 8, & Pervasive. Confusion Reigns

To add to Doc and Jim's posts, the select into command will create a new table for you minus any indexes or constraints. If you are working with SQL 7.0 you will have to have this option explicitally turned on. The select into is nice as it is minimally logged and fast, if you have an existing table that you need to simply add all entries from one table to the existing table you could do

insert into table select * from table

This way is logged though so watch your transaction log size.

HTH
    ---------------
    Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

Provided Answers: 1
    These easiest method through Enterprise Manager it to click on Tools/Data Transformation Services and then either either Import or Export, depending on where you are currently connected.

This will allow you to import data into existing tables, or create destination tables and populate them.

If you need to do this on a scheduled basis, set up a DTS package.

blindman

Blindman, did you understand Trippin's problem? He does not want to export or import data, he just wants a copy of a table within the same database.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler! - A. Einstein
    DB Problems? DB Explorer, BTrieve Re-engineering, DB Conversions & ETL? Conversion Tool

DB: no, he doesn't But he blames others if we dare to deviate from his train of thought...Did I say TRAIN??? Uh-oh...The train is coming, with BM on the front car... BETTER RUN!!!

Trippin: follow DoktorBlue's suggestion. I never tried it before but it turned out to be THE EASIEST!!!