Question Unanswered: Setting up Access database as an application

Hi there!

I am currently setting up a database that will be accessed by a small group of users. The users will be able to view all files and create new files and only edit files they specifically have created (through filtering the records that can be browsed in the edit form using VBA rather that conventional security as it doesn't need to be THAT secure).

It's kind of hard to explain the way I want the users to be able to view the finished database when using it, but I'll have a go!!

I'm looking for the best way to set up an Access Database so that Users are confined to viewing/accessing only the forms and reports I have set up, and not able to view/access Access itself (delve into Access running in the background, switch on the Design view, look at the table, etc).

Programs like Macromedia Director allow you to export a finished application as a standalone .exe file. Does Access offer this or any alternative option for hiding Access (the actual software) 'in the background'?

The database would be accessed over an intranet. I have confirmed that the intranet will support Data Access Pages, but not standalone languages like ASP. Are Data Access Pages able to contain and process relatively complex VBA functions such as 'custom programmed User Login forms with basic password protection'?

It seems from what I have read that they ONLY support basic reading and writing to tables, showing reports and making graphs etc.

Is this accurate, or am I only scratching the surface of their functionality?

So I think my current options for hiding Access itself AND making the database accessible remotely are basically to:

A. Split the database, password protect the Back-end and send the front-end to each user.
    B. Convert the Forms into Data Access Pages that can be accessed via a hyperlink.

Can anyone offer suggestions for the best way to go?
    Last edited by Lukasx; 09-03-03 at 09:01.

"Runtime" allows you to "convert" your db into an apllication, but I'm not sure about its compatibility with intranet... just try it. About what you want to be seen or not, you can make all the Access window components visible or not with VBA (even the shortcuts) ! Just be careful to keep an access to your own dbase ... (don't laugh it's not so ...)

Thanks for your response SaMy!!

Please can you tell me where will I find the Run-Time options as I have never used them before and can't seem to locate them! Is runtime actually part of MS Access?

Cheers,

Luke
    Last edited by Lukasx; 09-03-03 at 11:03.

I Found it!!!

Or at least I found "Startup" in the TOOLS> section of the menu.

It has all the options I will need!!

Thanks a lot for the tip!!!

You're welcome ... sorry for my poor 'frenchy' english ; If you are not able to use your own db (I did it !!!) you can press 'SHIFT' before and while opening your db file ; pay attention to the 'F11' shortcut which displays all the components of your db (tables, forms, ...)

Runtime in "given" with Access, and must be findable on the net too ...

Re: Setting up Access database as an application

Lukasx, for standalone exe files try to set your database with access and the interface with VB or something else. Access' applications doesn't work without Access being installed. Sorry....

Thanks M@sterm!nd, but my primary interest is in hiding Access as much as possible and just making my application visible. All the users do have Access installed.

The solution seems to lie in the startup options, though I may have to use some code to disable the shift and F11 bypasses at startup.

Cheers,

Luke

you can also use the MDE files or encryption. MDE is more secured. And just don't forget that always there is a way to enable the swift key and unlock the application. On the other hand you cannot unlock an MDE database.

You could always get a copy of Office 2000/XP Developer Edition. Then you get the Package/Deployment Wizard for Access Databases..

I appreciate your tips and advice on this!!

For now, I am simply using the "Startup" options to hide Access running in the background, though I am also considering converting it to a an mde once it is finalized.

Cheers again!!

Luke

Thumbs up One solution...maybe !

There is another posting on this forum from 9-12-2003 posted as "open form alone", (posting # 3396081), which resolves this issue in one degree.

I am not sure, but I think the code listed on the posting and the advice of Herman will get you the results you need.

Originally posted by M@sterm!nd
    ....And just don't forget that always there is a way to enable the swift key and unlock the application....
    Surely once the Shift has been disabled with SetByPassKey=False, and Special keys not allowed on the startup, then it's completely locked - isn't it?
    Thank you,
    James

If you use Popup Forms you can hide the access window with the following function..

Option Compare Database

''''''''''''''
    ' Start Code '
    ''''''''''''''
    Private Declare Function IsWindowVisible Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As Long) As Long
    Dim dwReturn As Long

Const SW_HIDE = 0
    Const SW_SHOWNORMAL = 1
    Const SW_SHOWMINIMIZED = 2
    Const SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED = 3

Private Declare Function ShowWindow Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As Long, _
    ByVal nCmdShow As Long) As Long

Public Function fAccessWindow(Optional Procedure As String, Optional SwitchStatus As Boolean, Optional StatusCheck As Boolean) As Boolean
    If Procedure = "Hide" Then
    dwReturn = ShowWindow(Application.hWndAccessApp, SW_HIDE)
    End If
    If Procedure = "Show" Then
    dwReturn = ShowWindow(Application.hWndAccessApp, SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED)
    End If
    If Procedure = "Minimize" Then
    dwReturn = ShowWindow(Application.hWndAccessApp, SW_SHOWMINIMIZED)
    End If
    If SwitchStatus = True Then
    If IsWindowVisible(hWndAccessApp) = 1 Then
    dwReturn = ShowWindow(Application.hWndAccessApp, SW_HIDE)
    Else
    dwReturn = ShowWindow(Application.hWndAccessApp, SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED)
    End If
    End If
    If StatusCheck = True Then
    If IsWindowVisible(hWndAccessApp) = 0 Then
    fAccessWindow = False
    End If
    If IsWindowVisible(hWndAccessApp) = 1 Then
    fAccessWindow = True
    End If
    End If
    End Function
    ''''''''''''
    ' End Code '

Just call the hide and show functions on Form Open Events..