Question Unanswered: Search records based on bound combo box

Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do the following:

I have a form which has a combo box which is populated with peoples surnames. It has been set up to facilitate the creation of new records. After awhile there will be hundreds of records and I would like to be able to search the surname of people listed in the combo box.

The problem: my combo box is bound to an ID number, so whilst it displays the persons surname, it is actually the ID number which is stored in the table. I would like to allow the user to search via surname even though the combo box is bound to the ID number - any idea's on how this might be done?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

C.

Re: Search records based on bound combo box

I'm not sure to understand ... the "ID..." must be the value you use for your search ; do you want your db's users to see the surname instead of this ID ?

Re: Search records based on bound combo box

if I'm right you can (box properties) set 2 columns on your combo box and "0cm" to the first column, which won't appear, contrary to your surnames ...

Cowabunga

Thanks for the reply but no, that is not the problem.

I have a separate search button which will allow the user to input the surname of a person. I want the main form to return the associated record(s). But the related field on the form is a combo box which stores a number for the person rather than their name so I cannot search it with the text value inserted by the user.

Any ideas?!

C.