Unanswered: Help!! Updating Linked file

I keep running into this problem.

I have an excel file which is linked in access. What I do is link the file in order to update the excel file with sales data.

After the query runs I cannot open the excel file. I get an error message saying its a read only, but it does not open. If I try to run the query again I get an error message External table is not in the expected format.

I have run into this several times with different files. I tried moving the files off the network to the hard drive, but I get the same issue.

???

Could it be?

I read on the Microsoft Knowledge Base that an error will occur using Analyze It with MS Excel. For backward compatibility, Access defaults to the Excel 5 specs, which is limited to 16,384 rows.

Could this be the same issue with linking Excel files, the 16,384 limit? My Excel file contained over 20,000 rows.

Nope

The number of rows doesn't seem to be the issue. I ran the same update after deleting the rows to under 16,000 and I still get the same result.

All I do is link the Excel file in Access. I have a blank column in Excel titled "Sales". I use anther table in Access the contains sales by item. I create an update query keying on item and update the sales data. Doing this corrupts the file somehow. I do this a lot with different file, most of the times it works, but other times I run into this. I can't seem to figure out what is different when I have the problem.

Any ideas

Any ideas anyone??