I've read the MySQL documentation about writing thread-safe client applications under Win32. I've also read several posts where people ask why mysql_thread_init and my_thread_init don't seem to be defined (linker error) when compiling against the LIB/DLL under Win32. I still read many people saying that Win32 programmers still have to call the my(sql)_thread_init functions in each thread. However, upon examining the source code for the Win32 version of libmysql, I do not believe that is the case. Referring to mysql-4.0.14b\libmysql\dll.c, I see the following code for the entrypoint of the libmysql.dll:

Code:
BOOL APIENTRY LibMain(HANDLE hInst,DWORD ul_reason_being_called,
		      LPVOID lpReserved)
{
  switch (ul_reason_being_called) {
  case DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH:	/* case of libentry call in win 3.x */
    if (!inited++)
    {
      s_hModule=hInst;
      libmysql_init();
      main_thread=GetCurrentThreadId();
    }
    break;
  case DLL_THREAD_ATTACH:
    threads++;
    my_thread_init();
    break;
  case DLL_PROCESS_DETACH:	/* case of wep call in win 3.x */
     if (!--inited)		/* Safety */
     {
       /* my_thread_init() */	/* This may give extra safety */
       my_end(0);
     }
    break;
  case DLL_THREAD_DETACH:
    /* Main thread will free by my_end() */
    threads--;
    if (main_thread != GetCurrentThreadId())
      my_thread_end();
    break;
  default:
    break;
  } /* switch */

return TRUE;

UNREFERENCED_PARAMETER(lpReserved);
} /* LibMain */
According to this code, the libmysql DLL itself should be notified when it is attached to a new process, and call the libmysql_init function (which in turn calls my_init), and the DLL is also notified when it is attached to each new thread created, causing it to call my_thread_init. The cleanup function calls to my_thread_end and my_end are also handled by the DLL's notification messages from Windows. Because of this it seems inadvisable to call any of the 4 the functions again yourself.

Unfortunately, as much as I have searched, I have found no reference to this difference in the Win32 version of libmysql in any documentation or forums posts.

Can anyone confirm or contradict this? Is this documented somewhere?

Jeremiah Gowdy
Senior Software Engineer
FreedomVOICE Systems