Unanswered: how to find no of processes

i have a program which is a java thread opening 10 connections and copying tables from one DB to another concurrently.

the backend is sybase.

Is it possible to simulate the same in sybase backend SQL, any tip on getting started with this.

How to find if my server will support this kind of processing (AIX box sybase 12)

Well you can use CIS and Proxy tables to do this, or you could use Rep Server to shuttle data back and forth. ASE12.5 has a built-in Replication Server 'lite' called replicator which may prove to be useful.
    Thanks,

Matt

Originally posted by MattR
    Well you can use CIS and Proxy tables to do this, or you could use Rep Server to shuttle data back and forth. ASE12.5 has a built-in Replication Server 'lite' called replicator which may prove to be useful.
    sorry to not get the requirement right, but its a archiving requirement.

i have certail criteria and business logic and copying only those records.

so i can't use replicator here.

Ok, if it's not realtime, you can always use BCP to dump and load data. Create a view with your business info then BCP out the view.
    Thanks,

Matt

sorry once again.

Its preferred to be a row by row solution since the tables are kind of huge and they want to commit record by record.

if for some reason, job ends, they want to restart it from the point instead of starting from beginning.

A similar solution which i developed seems working good, and its done in Java. Its kind of a dynamic sql.

Inorder to further refine this, i was thinking of compiling it in a stored proc and call from a shell script.

I am not aware of much of unix so i don't know if its possible to multithread or simultaneouly execute 2 stored procedures from a shell script or from a stored procedure instead of sequential since the tasks are really different.

in unix ..it is possible to execute 2 stored procedures simultaneously...sending them for background processing...

--Pooja

Originally posted by yog
    sorry once again.

Its preferred to be a row by row solution since the tables are kind of huge and they want to commit record by record.

if for some reason, job ends, they want to restart it from the point instead of starting from beginning.

A similar solution which i developed seems working good, and its done in Java. Its kind of a dynamic sql.

Inorder to further refine this, i was thinking of compiling it in a stored proc and call from a shell script.

I am not aware of much of unix so i don't know if its possible to multithread or simultaneouly execute 2 stored procedures from a shell script or from a stored procedure instead of sequential since the tasks are really different.

hi pooja,

is it by triggering 2 processes in background.

i was looking at threads

i came to a conclusion that java is better in doing this and its tedious to do some thread programming in unix, os just leaving it as it is.

i have approx. 100 sql's to execute simultaneously each copy from different tables.

not sure its right

yog