Unanswered: extract data from different databases

Gurus,

I have a question. I have two separate databases, one is on IBM SP2 running DB2/6000 7.2.5 and the other is on IBM mainframe running DB2 OS/390 7.1.1.

Let's assume the database on SP2 named db2sp, and database on Mainframe named db2main. I have a table about divisional employee with empID as a primary key. On db2main, I have a table contains the whole company's directory information, which also include empID and additionally have email and address infor and etc. Now I want to be able to pull the employee data out of the db2main, on the db2main, I don't have other infor to determin whom I will need infor, only if I provide the empID to it. The table on db2main is: empID, email, address. I don't want to pull everyone within the company, but only those in my division. So I would like to make sort of "virtual join" from my db2sp to db2main and then when I select the data, it will only pull those data for my division. I have heard somebody mentioned about there might be some DB2 features that allow me to accomplish this. Can any one point me the direction or a clue for this?

Thanks!!

Daili

Re: extract data from different databases

You may need a product like DB2 Connect which will provide access to mainframe data from AIX .... You can use federated database concept to access the mainframe table from your AIX database ...

or in other words, join your aix and mainframe tables ...

BTW, is it a one time requirement or a production requirement ? For the former you may utilize the 60 days evaluation period of db2 connect ... If it is production, then you will need to licence your db2 connect software

HTH

Sathyaram

Originally posted by daili
    Gurus,

I have a question. I have two separate databases, one is on IBM SP2 running DB2/6000 7.2.5 and the other is on IBM mainframe running DB2 OS/390 7.1.1.

Let's assume the database on SP2 named db2sp, and database on Mainframe named db2main. I have a table about divisional employee with empID as a primary key. On db2main, I have a table contains the whole company's directory information, which also include empID and additionally have email and address infor and etc. Now I want to be able to pull the employee data out of the db2main, on the db2main, I don't have other infor to determin whom I will need infor, only if I provide the empID to it. The table on db2main is: empID, email, address. I don't want to pull everyone within the company, but only those in my division. So I would like to make sort of "virtual join" from my db2sp to db2main and then when I select the data, it will only pull those data for my division. I have heard somebody mentioned about there might be some DB2 features that allow me to accomplish this. Can any one point me the direction or a clue for this?

Thanks!!

Daili
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Thanks Sathyaram. Yes, we will be using it in production environment. I'll look into DB2 Connect. By the way, do you know how much does it cost?

Thanks!

Daili

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    You may need a product like DB2 Connect which will provide access to mainframe data from AIX .... You can use federated database concept to access the mainframe table from your AIX database ...

or in other words, join your aix and mainframe tables ...

BTW, is it a one time requirement or a production requirement ? For the former you may utilize the 60 days evaluation period of db2 connect ... If it is production, then you will need to licence your db2 connect software

HTH

Sathyaram

Use this as a guideline

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/info/e.../download.html

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by daili
    Thanks Sathyaram. Yes, we will be using it in production environment. I'll look into DB2 Connect. By the way, do you know how much does it cost?

Thanks!

Daili
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.