Unanswered: performance degradation with concurrency.

We have an application with J2EE architecture which has a nice gui interface which dispalys the business information after doing a lot manipulations (sum, max, dates etc) .. during one transaction it may excute 10 to 15 different sqls ...and it is doing everything in 2 secs for 1-3 users .. so far so good.
    But by using the load runner to have an idea about the scalability increased the users to 15 .. for the first 12 or 13 users it comes back within 3 secs but for the last 2 it takes approx. 1 min.
    then the users were increased to 60 and then to 100... again the same behaviour i.e. for the first 90% it comes back in seconds and then something hogs..

Any ideas ..

thanks
    Kiran.

With so little info its a bit difficult to guess at what the problem is, do you have a DBA who can look into this? If not it could be a whole multitude of reasons from your database, network, OS or the app server.

Anyway a good article on Oracle for developers is at

http://www.databasejournal.com/featu...le.php/1403591

there are about 4 parts so you will have to do a search on the site for the other 3 parts but it does cover common scalability issues and J2EE apps.

Alan

Re: performance degradation with concurrency.

This sound of a typical exaplme of wrong architecture.
    I can't belive people are repeats 10 year old mistakes.
    Do this in PL/SQL and it will fly.
    +
    You get this for free:
    1. Conistent reads.
    2. Transaction (All will fail or succedd)
    3. Security (No way to to manipulation.
    4. Parse only once
    (At least I hope you use binds in JAVA otherwise your very very dead)
    but through your stored procedure) =>
    You force EVERYBODY to use you business logic

Originally posted by lvkiran
    We have an application with J2EE architecture which has a nice gui interface which dispalys the business information after doing a lot manipulations (sum, max, dates etc) .. during one transaction it may excute 10 to 15 different sqls ...and it is doing everything in 2 secs for 1-3 users .. so far so good.
    But by using the load runner to have an idea about the scalability increased the users to 15 .. for the first 12 or 13 users it comes back within 3 secs but for the last 2 it takes approx. 1 min.
    then the users were increased to 60 and then to 100... again the same behaviour i.e. for the first 90% it comes back in seconds and then something hogs..

Any ideas ..

thanks
    Kiran.