Unanswered: How do I delete the info in this table?

Hi,

I have 3 tables, Clients, Own and Dogs

Clients has client_id as the primary key
    Dogs has dog_id as the primary key
    Own is the relationship between the two tables, it has client_id and dog_id as Foreign Keys

If I delete a client I want all of the corresponding entries in the Own and Dogs tables to be deleted aswell.

If I delete a dog I want the corresponding entries to be deleted from the Own table but not the Clients table.

I am using ON CASCADE DELETE on both the foreign keys in the Own table, this deletes the entries out of the Own table both ways. I tried to use a trigger on the client table ON DELETE to delete the Dogs table entries, but with the ON CASCADE DELETE deleting the entries out of the Own relationship table I have no way of matching the client_id to the dog_id.

I hope this makes sense, please help!

My suggestion, - do not rely on declarative propagation of data changes. Have a stored procedure(-s) that will do that for you. GRANT EXECUTE on that (those) stored procedure(-s) to appropriate parties and lock out the underlying tables from being accessed directly (I'd say including SELECT's).

You could take off the ON CASCADE DELETE and run all your logic in the trigger. You might consider a status change rather than a delete and then periodically dump the flagged entries. Just my .02

HTH
    ---------------
    Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA