Unanswered: Newbie Database question

okay, I'm REALLY new to database adminstration/programming. I am currently trying to design a program that contains sensitive data. The basics of it are I need to a scalable program that pulls records from a database. The database will have millions of records.There will be about a thousand users connected at once. The users will update the records. I was wondering what database program any of you would recommend, how oracle and the *sql's differ, what books to buy or online tutorials to read. This really is my first step at databases so please provide as much information as you can.

Thanks,
    Artie

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Newbie Database question

Originally posted by another2
    okay, I'm REALLY new to database adminstration/programming. I am currently trying to design a program that contains sensitive data. The basics of it are I need to a scalable program that pulls records from a database. The database will have millions of records.There will be about a thousand users connected at once. The users will update the records. I was wondering what database program any of you would recommend, how oracle and the *sql's differ, what books to buy or online tutorials to read. This really is my first step at databases so please provide as much information as you can.

Thanks,
    Artie
    You need an enterprise-scale DBMS, like Oracle, SQL Server, DB2.
    Oracle is the best, of course (but note that this is an Oracle forum, so I may be biased!)

I don't really know what else to say, except: what kind of company charges a complete novice with designing, building and administering a sensitive, large-scale database? You should bring in some outside expertise if this project is to succeed at all.

Re books: Introduction to Database Systems by C J Date would be a good starting point.

thanx, actually, this is a side project I want to start so it's not like I'm clueless working for some big company

artie

Provided Answers: 1
    Originally posted by another2
    thanx, actually, this is a side project I want to start so it's not like I'm clueless working for some big company

artie
    Didn't mean to insult you, but designing a 1000-user database system for "sensitive" data doesn't sound like a typical "side project" for someone who has no database experience! It's like asking someone who knows nothing about construction to "knock up" a new office block!