Unhappy Unanswered: store international char in mysql

Dear all,

i am new in mysql. i am now develope a window application. now i can connect my window application to mysql. i am using big5 to insert the chinese char. now i am trying to insert and retrieve chinese character into mysql. question mark(?) show up in the table. i am using Varchar to store the chinese character. when retrieving, question mark shows also.
    Can anyone plz tell me what steps am i missing? what should i do or configure to make the chinese character to display and store in proper format?

thanks,
    esupport
    Last edited by esupport; 09-05-03 at 23:49.

Re: store chinese char in mysql

Originally posted by esupport
    Dear all,

i am new in mysql. now i am trying to insert and retrieve chinese character into mysql. question mark(?) show up in the table. i am using Varchar to store the chinese character. when retrieving, question mark shows also.
    at first, i thought mysql cann't support chinese character. but it's impossible to say so because there are so many web site using mysql to display chinese character.
    i am now develope a window application. now i can connect my window application to mysql. i am using big5 to insert the chinese char.
    Can anyone plz tell me what steps i am missing? what should i do or configure to make the chinese character to display and store in proper format?

thanks,
    esupport

I hope you can read chinese. Because below article is writting in tranditional chinese.

http://www.sdcs.com.tw/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=723

Re: store chinese char in mysql

Originally posted by ranger20412
    I hope you can read chinese. Because below article is writting in tranditional chinese.

http://www.sdcs.com.tw/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=723
    thanks a lot....i had try to set the character set using the WINMYSQLADMIN. But later when i connect to mysql, i fail to do so.

Message shown:
    file 'c:\mysql\share\charsets\big5.xml' not found.(Errcode:2)
    Character set 'big5' is not a compiled character set and is not specified in the 'c:\mysql\share\charsets\Index.xml' file

actually i had try to set the charset by code but nearly the same error message promt out. is there any setting i had miss???

thanks,
    esupport