Question Unanswered: how to store a Word doc in DB2?

Hello!

How can i insert in a column from a table some documents like Word .doc or .pdf or .jpg. ?
    When i write a "select doc from ... where id=... " i wish to get the doc which i store in the database.
    Which is the easier mode to do that?

Thank you.

Re: how to store a Word doc in DB2?

Hi sorinc,

I'm not a DB2 or database expert, so I cannot give you the exact answer for your question but I can tell what we are doing in an application we are working on.

We have created tables that has columns with the data type BLOB and we save files like .doc, .pdf, .jpg.. etc in these columns as binary data. We are using Java code to insert and read the files. I don't know if there is any possibility to insert/read these files by using SQL statements.

In the redbook Application Decvelopment Guide: Chapter 13, you can find more explanation about using LOB.

If you are interested, I can post the Java source code we use for inserting files into database and reading them.
    Kezban

Hi.

Thank you very much for your answer. I'm very interesting in what you said. If you can, please, post the Java source code.
    Where can i download this redbook?

Thank you.

You can download Redbooks at:
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/

Hi,

I had found some sample code in IBM's web site, that was a good beginning for understanding the structure for inserting and reading BLOB data. Address of the page is below. Two zip files, WriteBlob.zip and GetBlob.zip are what you need. I think this will be more useful than our Java source code since our application's structure is more complex than the samples.

About the Application Develompent Guide; I have the PDF version but I think it is also available online. You can find it by using a search engine like Google.

DB2 sample code page:
    http://www.developer.ibm.com/tech/sampdb2.html
    Kezban

Hello!

thanks for your answer

can you tell me where can i download the pdf or where can i find this guide?

You can find a link to the IBM manuals in the thread above entitled "Useful DB2 Stuff."

If you use the version of Acrobat reader that allows text searches, it makes using the IBM PDF manuals much easier. If you use an FTP program to retrieve the manuals, you can download an entire directory at once with all the relevent manuals for your version/release.

Kezban:

Been looking for the Redbook you mentioned below and can't find any that are titled Application Development. Could you be a little more specific as to where this info is?

Thanks!

Originally posted by KezbanB
    Hi sorinc,

I'm not a DB2 or database expert, so I cannot give you the exact answer for your question but I can tell what we are doing in an application we are working on.

We have created tables that has columns with the data type BLOB and we save files like .doc, .pdf, .jpg.. etc in these columns as binary data. We are using Java code to insert and read the files. I don't know if there is any possibility to insert/read these files by using SQL statements.

In the redbook Application Decvelopment Guide: Chapter 13, you can find more explanation about using LOB.

If you are interested, I can post the Java source code we use for inserting files into database and reading them.
    Anthony Robinson

"If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor here. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please - with sugar on top..."

I believe he is referring to a manual, not a Redbook:

Application Development Guide: Building and Running Applications Version 8 SC09-4825-00
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Hi,

You can download books at DB2 Technical Support page.

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

I have found a copy of Application Development Guide from this address (Chapter 13 is about LOBs.):
    www.mycore.de/library/db2/DB2A0E70.PDF

And this is the online version of it (Using Large Objects (LOBs)):
    https://aurora.vcu.edu/db2help/db2a0/frame3.htm#db2a080

Originally posted by ansonee
    Kezban:

Been looking for the Redbook you mentioned below and can't find any that are titled Application Development. Could you be a little more specific as to where this info is?

Thanks!
    Kezban