Question Unanswered: Active, Current and Total Connections

Could someone please give me a brief explaination of Active Connections, Current Connections and Total Connections?

Your help is greatly appreicated.

Thank you,

William

Provided Answers: 5
    William,
    In what context are you using (getting) these terms?

Andy

Sorry for the confusion. I am opening up Control Center and right-clicking on the DB in question and choosing Performance Monitoring | Show Monitor Activity. When the monitor is displayed, these items are in the list of things that are being monitored.

I am using DB2 v7.2 with Fix-packs 3-10 loaded.

Thanks for you reply. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by ARWinner
    William,
    In what context are you using (getting) these terms?

Andy

Provided Answers: 5
    William,

Active Connections: The number of those connections that are currently performing tasks against the database. This means that they have issued some SQL/DDL and are awaiting completion of that task.

Idle Connections: (It is not listed or available but I thought I would throw it in to better help under stand Active Connections). Number of connections NOT currently performing any SQL/DDL.

Current Connections: The number of Idle plus Active Connections. Those applications that have issued a CONNECT TO db but have not disconnected. THis will be the number of connections you would get from issuing the command "LIST APPLICATIONS".

Total Connections: The total number of times the database has been connected to since it was started. This number will never go down while the database is active. Basically it is the number of times the CONNECT TO db was issued since the DB was started.

HTH

Andy

Smile

Thanks Andy. Your help is most appreciated!

William

Originally posted by ARWinner
    William,

Active Connections: The number of those connections that are currently performing tasks against the database. This means that they have issued some SQL/DDL and are awaiting completion of that task.

Idle Connections: (It is not listed or available but I thought I would throw it in to better help under stand Active Connections). Number of connections NOT currently performing any SQL/DDL.

Current Connections: The number of Idle plus Active Connections. Those applications that have issued a CONNECT TO db but have not disconnected. THis will be the number of connections you would get from issuing the command "LIST APPLICATIONS".

Total Connections: The total number of times the database has been connected to since it was started. This number will never go down while the database is active. Basically it is the number of times the CONNECT TO db was issued since the DB was started.

HTH

Andy