Unanswered: datafile, tablesapce issue

I have an issue with a tablespace having a datafile that was having a wrong name. So I was able to rename it on both the database as well as the OS level.

I am not able to bring the datafile online. I get a message,
    ORA-01122: database file failed verification check.
    ORA-01251: unknown file header version read for file.

Also, I have reduced the datafile size to 0 bytes.
    The DB operates fine with out any issues.
    But, since I am planning to upgrade the DB from 8.1.7 to 9i, I am thinking it might pose a problem.

Any suggestions on how to overcome this problem.

Thanks in advance.

why did you care what the datafile name was?
    or was it the incorrect datafile altogether (ie: on the wrong disk)?
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Initially, the file name was named with wrong naming convention. I thought of correcting it and that's when I screwed up by giving and extra back slash in the middle of the file name.
    After that, I was able to rename the file name again but that's when I started getting all these errors.

If you've reduced the datafile size to 0 bytes (really, physically ondisk) then it will always fail validation and you'll have lost any content.

You might try an alter tablespace.. recover to see if Oracle can do anything with it.

Hth
    Bill

I have tried doing the recover datafile. But it is unsuccessful.

If you reduced to 0 but you did need the data in it ?

How are you trying to recover the datafile that it's failing.

Are you in archive log mode?

How long ago did you do the nasty ?

Rgs,
    Breen.

I have changed the size of the file on the DB side through OEM but have not changed physically on the disk.
    It's been 2 months. The system has been operating OK every day. WE do cold backups everynight and the system has been working as expected. Would it be any problem during the upgrade?

Hi,

I may not be getting this right so just to check:

Do you need any data from this datafile and if not why not just drop it and then create a new one ?

If you are in archive log mode you could get your last backup and recover the datafile.

I am assuming that the datafile is the only file of a particular tablespace.

Rgs,
    Breen.

The troubled datafile is the second one of he four datafiles.
    I am pretty sure that the first one is not even filled up yet. Can I just drop the last 3 datafiles and recreate them later.

Another option:

Export all the objects out of the tablespace and reimport them after recreating the tablespace? But, There is a LOB segment and LOB index in the tablespace along with other objects, which I am not sure what happens when I try to exprot them.

FYI.. I created a trace file of the controlfile and the troubled datafile is part of it and there is an extra statement in there to offline it after the creation clause.

Any ideas....

Also, if there is an alternative to move all the segments in the tablespace to another newly created tablespace, please let me know.

If it is viable, how do we move a LOBSEGMENT and LOBINDEX to another tablespace?

Any info is really appreciated...

while upgrading to 9i you can opt to export and then import in to newly installed 9i database...
    This method of upgrading gets rid of your mess file...

Export will not have problems reading any data from your tablespace