Unanswered: Sql2061n Db2 Multiple Instances

We have DB2 Connect (7.2 fp9) installed on an AIX box (5.?). (I am new to AIX and limited when it comes to DB2 on AIX). When we installed DB2, we installed with the defaults. We then used DB2INST1 to create 6 other instances. We added each instance name that we created to the DB2IADM1 group. We created a directory on the AIX box that would contain backups that had DB2INST1 as the owner and DB2IADM1 as the group. Everything works fine. However, each instance is a different application and we realized that it isn't a good idea to have different applications backing up to the same directory. So, we created 6 backup directories. DB2INST1 is the owner and we created a new group that has the same members as DB2IADM1 but only has the instance ID of that group. It doesn't work. We get "SQL2061N An attempt to access media "/instbackp" is denied." The only blurb that I can find in the manuals is that instances should be created with unique groups. Is there any way to right this wrong? I tried updating the admin group using the control center and the admin tab on the instance configuration page. Nothing seems to work. Are we going to have to recreate the instances using the individual instance's id's?

Each directory should be owned by the instance owner, not db2inst1.

Each instance should have a separate login id, but can belong to a common group.

If you put all of your instance owners into one group, then make that group the owner of all backup directories, then the problem should go away. That's how I was told to do it 4 years ago when I was first starting out with DB2.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by stevedba
    Each directory should be owned by the instance owner, not db2inst1.

Each instance should have a separate login id, but can belong to a common group.

If you put all of your instance owners into one group, then make that group the owner of all backup directories, then the problem should go away. That's how I was told to do it 4 years ago when I was first starting out with DB2.

Hope this helps.
    That's what we have now and it does work. However, if one instance (in our case a government agency) uses all the backup space then every instance (government agency) is out of space too. This is the problem that we realized after the fact.