Unanswered: Recovery questions

Hi,
    I have couple of questions in the recovery/refreshing a test/devl instance from my production instance

I have a hotbackup of the production instance as of 8/1/03
    I have added a datafile d10 to tablespace T1 on 8/15/03

I have to create my test/devl from my production hotbackup of 8/1/03 and rollforward till 9/1/03

My question is do I have to create d10 in my test/devl file locations and how do I refer them in my recover script.

Also would like to know how to handle if new tablespaces or deleted tablespaces which could have happened during 8/1/03 and 8/31/03...

Would appreciate the advice

Thanks

Hi Bala,

If you are in archive log mode which i think you are, a recover database statement will uptodate your database. This includes creating all new tablespaces. But while creating the tablespaces, if the expected directories does not exist, it might throw up an error.

-Sunil.

Originally posted by sunilthomas98
    Hi Bala,

If you are in archive log mode which i think you are, a recover database statement will uptodate your database. This includes creating all new tablespaces. But while creating the tablespaces, if the expected directories does not exist, it might throw up an error.

-Sunil.
    Hi Sunil,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Will the recover totally fail or can I recover the tablespace after I create the necessary data files in the correct location ?
    Once again thanks for your reponse...
    Bala

Originally posted by sunilthomas98
    Hi Bala,

-Sunil.
    Hi Sunil,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Will the recover totally fail or can I recover the tablespace after I create the necessary data files in the correct location ?
    Once again thanks for your reponse...
    Bala

You just need the correct data file directory in place. Data files will be created along with tablespaces while archive logs are applied.

Even if recovery fails due to a missing directory, the directoy it expects will be shown and you can create it and try recovery again.