Arrow Unanswered: Do you recommend storing images directly into the DB?

The images each are in Jpeg format (black and white, with some grey scale). File size wise, wouldnt be huge < 50 KB.

There wont be too many people using the system.

Would it be tedious to maintain? Many people recommend storing the path to the graphic instead.

Please advise. Thanks.

98% of all articles or opinions I've seen reccomend storing them outside the DB. SQL is not a good storage mechanism for files.

HTH
    ---------------
    Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

Re: Do you recommend storing images directly into the DB?

Originally posted by fused
    The images each are in Jpeg format (black and white, with some grey scale). File size wise, wouldnt be huge < 50 KB.

There wont be too many people using the system.

Would it be tedious to maintain? Many people recommend storing the path to the graphic instead.

Please advise. Thanks.
    We have a proffesianally built imaging system that stores all the images on the disk and just references them from the database.

I agree that they should be left outside the DB.
    Jim P.

Supoorting Oracle, MSSQL7, Sybase 8, & Pervasive. Confusion Reigns

Originally posted by jimpen
    We have a proffesianally built imaging system that stores all the images on the disk and just references them from the database.

I agree that they should be left outside the DB.
    Right now, we are planning a project to store some images. What's the scripting language that you use? Any advice? Thanks.

So you guys have a file server that has permission given to everyone? And when you upload the pic, the picture is moved to the shared file server? And a path is inserted into the sql server?

Please advise.

ASP

I have an ASP app that does this sort of thing. I read through the directories, and display the file names as hyperlinks without even using a db connection. This method works really well if you can get the user to name the files in such a way that the links on the page look ok...which is normally not an easy task, but it's worked pretty well for me...But this is an IntrAnet app. , not a web app..

We use ASP.Net with C# on Windows IIS. You know the IP of the computer, create a sub directory (eg /Images) and use a component that looks in this directory (we use Borland C# Builder but Visual Studio will have this probably as well). To let users upload their images, you can use ASPUpload (www.aspupload.com)
    Johan

Originally posted by fused
    Right now, we are planning a project to store some images. What's the scripting language that you use? Any advice? Thanks.

So you guys have a file server that has permission given to everyone? And when you upload the pic, the picture is moved to the shared file server? And a path is inserted into the sql server?

Please advise.
    Ours is provided by a VAR of http://www.imagesoft.com/.

Read permissions are given by group as well as write. We have different sections that are available to different groups depending on what they need/are allowed to see.
    Jim P.

Supoorting Oracle, MSSQL7, Sybase 8, & Pervasive. Confusion Reigns