Unanswered: Access runtime app taking 100% CPU on XP

I support a 3rd party application that uses the Access 97 runtime. There are 6 users. The application has always started up rather slowly - it generally takes a minute and a half or so to get going. However, the users were recently migrated to Windows XP, and after that the load times are sometimes (but not always) intolerable - 20 to 30 minutes and longer.

The application uses an MDE and MDB that are both on a server drive. Only the Access runtime is on the users' workstations.

The vendor has an Access XP version available, which I installed to see if it would correct the problem -- it doesn't. When I tested it, I was also using the MDE and MDB files from a test server on which I was the only user accessing the files. I still experienced the slowness problem.

I have called the vendor's "support" line several times. Unfortunately the only support they will offer is to tell me it must be a problem with our network.

Here are some facts I have gathered while investigating this problem - I would be extremely grateful for any ideas on how to go about resolving this.

The slowdown on startup does not happen all the time. Sometimes the application comes up normally, within about a minute and a half. When the problem happens, often terminating the application using Task Manager and then re-launching it will cause it to load within a normal time frame.

Whenever the problem happens, CPU utilization jumps to 100% and stays there. From looking at the processes in Task Manager, Access.exe is the process maxing out the CPU (by the way, these are 2 gigahertz P4 machines w/ 256 MB RAM).

To check out the vendor's assertion that our network is at fault, I ran performance monitors on a workstation with the application running, and also had our IT guys set up a network trace from the server where the MDE and MDB are located to one of the user's workstations. I ran the application many times, and found that there is zero network activity going on at the time of the 100% CPU usage (there is some network activity prior to that).

The one thing the vendor has suggested is to move the MDE to the local workstations. I may end up doing that, but I don't want to unnecessarily because we are in a really locked down environment where software can only be installed through SMS. Installing the MDE to local workstations means that every time the vendor does a software udpate (which are rather frequent), an SMS package will have to be created to update the MDE on the workstations and then that package will never be used again.

Any ideas? I sincerely appreciate any and all suggestions.

Re: Access runtime app taking 100% CPU on XP

I don't know what's causing your slow startup problem, but if I were you I wouldn't get too hung up on the fact that Access is pushing CPU usage up to 100%. All databases push the CPU heavily - in fact when Access does virtually anything with data it grabs as much of the processor as it can, which is why you'll find you can rarely do anything else on your machine when Access is processing a query, for example. With regard to the slow startup, I'm sure you'll have tried the usual things like compacting the database, defragging the hard disk etc. But do bear in mind that 100% CPU usage is not an indicator of anything unusual.

Originally posted by ssprice
    I support a 3rd party application that uses the Access 97 runtime. There are 6 users. The application has always started up rather slowly - it generally takes a minute and a half or so to get going. However, the users were recently migrated to Windows XP, and after that the load times are sometimes (but not always) intolerable - 20 to 30 minutes and longer.

The application uses an MDE and MDB that are both on a server drive. Only the Access runtime is on the users' workstations.

The vendor has an Access XP version available, which I installed to see if it would correct the problem -- it doesn't. When I tested it, I was also using the MDE and MDB files from a test server on which I was the only user accessing the files. I still experienced the slowness problem.

I have called the vendor's "support" line several times. Unfortunately the only support they will offer is to tell me it must be a problem with our network.

Here are some facts I have gathered while investigating this problem - I would be extremely grateful for any ideas on how to go about resolving this.

The slowdown on startup does not happen all the time. Sometimes the application comes up normally, within about a minute and a half. When the problem happens, often terminating the application using Task Manager and then re-launching it will cause it to load within a normal time frame.

Whenever the problem happens, CPU utilization jumps to 100% and stays there. From looking at the processes in Task Manager, Access.exe is the process maxing out the CPU (by the way, these are 2 gigahertz P4 machines w/ 256 MB RAM).

To check out the vendor's assertion that our network is at fault, I ran performance monitors on a workstation with the application running, and also had our IT guys set up a network trace from the server where the MDE and MDB are located to one of the user's workstations. I ran the application many times, and found that there is zero network activity going on at the time of the 100% CPU usage (there is some network activity prior to that).

The one thing the vendor has suggested is to move the MDE to the local workstations. I may end up doing that, but I don't want to unnecessarily because we are in a really locked down environment where software can only be installed through SMS. Installing the MDE to local workstations means that every time the vendor does a software udpate (which are rather frequent), an SMS package will have to be created to update the MDE on the workstations and then that package will never be used again.

Any ideas? I sincerely appreciate any and all suggestions.