Unanswered: Cookie ,First party? Third Party?

Will clickin on a hyperlink to my webpage let the IE.6 identify my cookies as a third party?

e.g.
    Code:
    <a target="_blank" href="mysitewithsessioncookiegenerated.asp">Link</a>
    The session cookie will only be generated once the page is open.

Since it will be on a new window....I'm guessing it is going to be identified as a first party cookie .....

Another question is, does this apply to all web sites or do some web sites able to configure how to "react" when a person clicks a hyperlink URL.

e.g. hot mail email hyperlinks "react" differently then normal e-mail accounts.....is there any truth in it??

Your views will mostly appreciated!
    Patrick Chua
    LBMS ( Learn By My Self) NPQ ( No paper Qualification )

anybody??
    Patrick Chua

mind explaining it in a clearer manner?

In a clearer manner..hmm...well....

I'm doing this website where there is a member area , which I use session cookies to track them.

Now when they register, they have to go to their e-mail and click on the hyperlink to a new window to my website.

In this page, once I check their registration password, I'll create the session cookie for them.

I heard of I.E 6 privacy features where it blocks third party cookies depending on your privacy setting. And I don't plan to create those whatever compact privacy statements ...because I heard that session cookies are allowed if your using it as a first party cookie.

Don't get what I mean? Then read up on:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...acyfeature.asp

Now I fear this would effect my logic.
    So refering to my first post, can anyone give me any comments?
    Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
    Patrick Chua

Patrick, thanks for posting this since I learned lots reading the article.

The way I read it is you are classified as first or third party depending on how the whole page is invoked. The link that users click to get to your page must need to be in the same domain as the page that actually comes up and sets the cookie. If they match then you are a first party.

If the page that the link takes them to has an I fFRAME on it with content from some other domain in it, then the cookies that IFRAME tries to create would be third party and subject to cookie filtering (with possible negative side effects).

That's just my opinion after reading it just now. In a corporate environment where all your content is from one domain I don't see a problem. A link is like the user typing the address into the browser. If you render content from mulitple domains on the same page you may have issues.

My 2...

oohh...thanks for the reply. I'm still re-reading your post to get what u mean...

I'm abit slow u see. So in my case, the links are in people's e-mail.
    which can be in any domain...e.g. hotmail , yahoomail, company mail e.t.c

So if what I think u'r saying, u'r guess is that the cookie I create will be a third party?

Btw, anyone knows how can we know if the cookie we created is recognise as first or third in a browser?? this will certainly help solve the guessing game.
    Last edited by Patrick Chua; 09-15-03 at 09:30.
    Patrick Chua

U'r thinking too hard. Its more simple than that. Lets say you have an email with this link in it:
    if the showReport page sets the cookie its first party since it's domain (myDomain.com) matches the domain shown in the link. However if the showReport page had an iFrame and that iframe shows a web page from otherdOMAIN.COM then any cookie that iframe sets would be third party.

Hope that helps.

ok then.....I got it..haha....sorry bout that!
    I'll test it out, if I don't reply, means u rite and there aren't any problems or anything we miss out!

Thanks.
    Patrick Chua

Re: Cookie ,First party? Third Party?

Yes it will be treated as a first party cookie if it is in a new window I belive.

Hotmail email links are different than normal - this is done by the way the person programmed the page - instead of the links being like "mailto:jim@jim.com" they are "compose_new_message.asp?to=jim@jim.com" (or similar).

This means that the mail is sent by hotmail rather than poping up your mail program.

Helped?

Originally posted by Patrick Chua
    Will clickin on a hyperlink to my webpage let the IE.6 identify my cookies as a third party?

e.g.
    Code:
    <a target="_blank" href="mysitewithsessioncookiegenerated.asp">Link</a>
    The session cookie will only be generated once the page is open.

Since it will be on a new window....I'm guessing it is going to be identified as a first party cookie .....

Another question is, does this apply to all web sites or do some web sites able to configure how to "react" when a person clicks a hyperlink URL.

e.g. hot mail email hyperlinks "react" differently then normal e-mail accounts.....is there any truth in it??

Your views will mostly appreciated!

Yup , now that I got u'r assurance, and from the way no one is complaning about the way I did it, then I guess it's save for now.
    Patrick Chua