Unanswered: These days, just what system works...?

These days, just what system works? Each day I read more and more into database programming, and I myself am no stranger to it. Just an old friend who hasn't seen a database in years!

ADO, RDO, DAO which is better? I figured use the best for the task!

Heres the task, a bunch of computers networked through their own protocols, running win95 up to win2000. And supprisingly they work fine!

I figure ADO! Visual basic and ADO, I can simply whip up a program to access a database off one specific computer, using workspaces. and have no need for a server program.

5 weeks later. Surely it's this simple!

Maybe I'm approching it all wrong? How do I accomplish this feat?

Question

The way I see it, I place a database onto a server on my network, i.e \\myserver1\myshareddir\mydatabase.mdb then get each application on different computers to access that database. Does this work? and is it the best way?

It depends - how many is a "bunch" of computers? Often MS Access isn't good for many simultaneous users and Microsoft recommends against many users. It also depends on types of interaction with the database - a bunch of free form queries?...or a "canned" set of forms for data entry.

The simple way you describe could be a performance nightmare since the data-engine is local and the data remote. This causes alot of network traffic. I think you may need to split the database in two - a front end DB on the client machine and the backend DB on the server. Check out microsoft.public.access.multiuser

Last edited by bill_dev; 09-12-03 at 23:52.

thanks bill, in the end that's exactly what I went with. A frontend and back db. I weighed it all out, and since there are other databases running with other preexisting programs, the bandwidth of the network seemed like it could use some slack.
    Thanks again!