Angry Unanswered: SQL0968C error: The file system is full

I am using DB2 7.1 on Linux Suse 8.2 OS.

I have 1 user defined tablespace of SMS type. During LOAD of BLOB data, after a few gigabytes are loaded, I get the next error:

-----------------------------------------------
    2003-09-05 22:52:07 SQLCODE = -968
    2003-09-05 22:52:07 SQLERRMC =
    2003-09-05 22:52:07 SQLERRP = SQLRIISR
    2003-09-05 22:52:07 SQL0968C The file system is full. SQLSTATE=57011
    ------------------------------------------------

Filesystem is definitly not full, I have plenty od space on disc. Probably the error comes because of 2Gb filesystem file size limit. When I look in container (directory) of my tablespace I can find several *.LB files (probably for the storage of BLOB tables).

Is it true that every one of these files containes only one table data? If I have a table with more than 2Gb data in it - how could I store it in table using SMS tablespace?

I am thinking about adding more containers for that tablespace - but that will probably add only more directories, and if my big table resides in one *.LB file (and if it is not possible to spread data among more files), then I will get the same error. Am I right?

Is adding more containers to tablespace a solution for this problem?

Thanks in advance,
    Sasha

Re: SQL0968C error: The file system is full

Hi,

Probably you can consider increasing the file size limit, so that the files size can grow beyond 2GB.

Below is the possible solution On Unix for the error you got

On unix-based systems, this disk full condition may be due to
    exceeding the maximum file size allowed for the current userid.
    Use the chuser command to update fsize. A reboot may be
    necessary.

Pls map it to Linux as i haven't worked on LINUX..

Thanks
    Sateesh

Originally posted by samards
    I am using DB2 7.1 on Linux Suse 8.2 OS.

I have 1 user defined tablespace of SMS type. During LOAD of BLOB data, after a few gigabytes are loaded, I get the next error:

-----------------------------------------------
    2003-09-05 22:52:07 SQLCODE = -968
    2003-09-05 22:52:07 SQLERRMC =
    2003-09-05 22:52:07 SQLERRP = SQLRIISR
    2003-09-05 22:52:07 SQL0968C The file system is full. SQLSTATE=57011
    ------------------------------------------------

Filesystem is definitly not full, I have plenty od space on disc. Probably the error comes because of 2Gb filesystem file size limit. When I look in container (directory) of my tablespace I can find several *.LB files (probably for the storage of BLOB tables).

Is it true that every one of these files containes only one table data? If I have a table with more than 2Gb data in it - how could I store it in table using SMS tablespace?

I am thinking about adding more containers for that tablespace - but that will probably add only more directories, and if my big table resides in one *.LB file (and if it is not possible to spread data among more files), then I will get the same error. Am I right?

Is adding more containers to tablespace a solution for this problem?

Thanks in advance,
    Sasha
    OCP,IBM UDB,SYBASE DBA
    TCS, BANGALORE, INDIA

Solution found

Hi, thanx for reply,

but I do not think that there is such command in linux (chuser). Anyway, 2Gb is the hardware limit (for 32 bit architecture) and only applying Large File Support patch would solve that problem.

I found a different solution - adding more containers even for SMS tablespace will distribute data between containers, so that would increase space for my large table table.

Regards,
    Sasha

It is always good practice to spead the containers across multiple disks for OLTP and BI environment. This provides I/O parallelism at disk level. The other rule of thumb is, it is better to have large number of small disks and spread the containers over them rather than small number of large disks.