Question Unanswered: Can I use VBscript without ASP to create Dynamic Web Pages?

Hi folks!

I'm in kinda a spot here due to limitations that are stopping me from taking the 'standard approach' with VBscript and ASP. If anyone can offer any advice on how I might approach this, I'd greatly appreciate it!!!

I have been asked to create some Web Pages that will access and display information on an Access database dynamically over an intranet. I discovered that ASP, PHP,etc are not supported on the server.

Therefore, I believe I am restricted to just using VBscript to handle the data (though I am probably wrong).

The Web pages' purpose is to display (READ ONLY) 'live' data. The 'trick' will be that these pages should be able to filter and sort the information, generate charts, and be displayed in a format that looks more like HTML on a web page than an ACCESS form or a static printable report.

Also, the page should be flexible - calling up all records and displaying them all down the page, as opposed to the Data Access Page method of providing a static form and letting you navigate records within the form.

At this stage, I'm not really sure how much of the above is possible without the use of ASP. Please could someone point me in the right direction of how I should be approaching this job?

I look forward to ANY hints you can give me on this!

Cheers,

Luke

As long as you don't want (or aren't able) to use asp, you can actually do what you're asking. There's only one clause, if I may say so. You have to create and ODBC connection to you db on the server. Then you can try and use Ms Frontpgae (which is terrible but sometimes solves problems). In doing so, without the help of asp pages, I believe it will be quite a nightmare, but Frontpage has one or two helpful 'templates'. Or you can try and to menu insert/database and create a data access page.

All of that is true, only if you have the opportunity to create an ODBC connection on your server. I repeat it because, usually when you can't create asp pages, you can't create that kind of connection.

I hope I made it clear. Write here your question if you ned more.

Cheers
    Marco
    ---Do not send e-mail---
    "New Big Bang Theory: God said unzip universe"

Hi Marco, thanks for your reply (again!!)

It is hard to believe, but we do not have MS Frontpage installed here (though all the other MS OFFICE applications are installed)!!

I have Dreamweaver installed instead. Are there similar templates available in Dreamweaver? If not, I will try asking the IT Department to provide me with Frontpage.

Cheers,

Luke

Unfortunately, as far as I know, Dreamweaver works only with:

- asp javascript
    - asp vbscript
    - asp.net
    - Coldfusion
    - JSP
    - PHP

Those are required to work with data bindings. Speaking of the terrible frontpage, the sw works with what microsoft calls Web Bot. That's why you can forget about asp with it (I believe). I'm learning all of that by myself, looking on obscure internet web site, where gurus try to persuade you that everything is easy! Anyway, I have a similar problem with my personal web site. I cannot even use ODBC, but I'd really like to create a db for all the articles.

Believe me don't look for javascript or flash solution. They don't even go near a true db...

I'm sorry. It looks like MY only solution is FrontPage.... Ah, I believe it needs FrontPage extensions on the server as well. As you may see, it is much more easy to ask for asp access on the server.

Cheers!
    Marco
    ---Do not send e-mail---

I'm not sure if we can get Frontpage installed just for my project.

The frustrating thing is that all I need to do is display data on an HTML page from various tables in the database dynamically (which I can already do using Data Access Pages) but instead of displaying the data on a restrictive DAP form layout (to show 1 record at a time), I need all of the reports in a query to be listed vertically on the page like a document on an HTML page.

Then using controls on the HTML page, it must be possible to sort or filter the reports by date/creator of the report, etc.

Do you think I can use VBscript alone to 'extract' the relevant data from the tables and print it to the HTML page?

Cheers,

Luke

I don't know. I was looking for a web database that doesn't use asp or dns connection... with no success.
    All that you're saying sounds strange to me. Are you able to run the db on the server? What I mean is: are exe allowed on the server? Can you hyperlink to the mdb file and open it via ie? Have you got ms office web components?

This is getting quite annoying for me... I cannot find a solution on the internet. Even if you look into web pages like sourceforge you can't find anything. Is it possible that no one thought about it?
    Last edited by Marco Del Corno; 09-08-03 at 11:26.
    Marco
    ---Do not send e-mail---

I'm not sure about .exe files, but yes I can run the db on the server and hyperlink directly to the .mdb to open it with IE. And I'm sure I do have Office Web components installed.

I know what you mean about this being frustrating! I agree!

I think the 'obvious' solution is to use ASP or PHP, and therefore no-one believes there is a good reason to try alternative methods. The only reason I must try to look for an alternative is because of the specific limitations of the server I am using at the moment, otherwise I would happily choose the 'obvious' option. Do you have the same limitations?

Unfortunately, I do not believe my system administrator will set up ASP or PHP on our servers just for my purposes.

Perhaps this is a dead-end. I was just hoping that there would be some limited VBscript functionality we could use, even without ASP to accomplish these tasks.

I hope we can somehow find a solution. Good luck to us both!!

Cheers,

Luke

At least you can use the db via ie with web components. On my intranet and company web site I requeted asp and everything is ok. But my personal web site is freely hosted and I cannot set up anything like dbs or asp.

Frustrating is not really appropriate, but gives the idea!
    Marco
    ---Do not send e-mail---