Unanswered: SQL Registration failed logging in from VPN

Please help...using windows authentication, and logging in from a VPN client, Enterprise Manager shows the following error "A connection could not be established to 'database'. Reason: SQL Server does not exist or access denied. CONNECTION OPEN( CONNECT()).
    Please verify SQL Server is running and check your SQL Server registration properties and try again."

This error does not occur when I am in the office and logged on to the network and appears to reset my issue from the VPN client (that is, until I get booted off and then cannot reconnect from VPN; at that point, I must come back into the office to get this to work).

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Are you able to ping the server while using VPN? Do you have a firewall active on your side? Or in the office? Have you tried to register by IP?

I can map to the server in windows explorer; I haven't tried registration by IP. It shows a list of servers available and I type the one I want because now the server name is missing (at the office / inside the firewall I can see the server though). I get the same error that it cannot find the server when I re-register.

I really believe this to be a VPN client issue since I also have problems with PC SAS / ACCESS for OLE DB. It cannot find the server. I'm thinking that maybe I try sql password security instead of windows authentication, but I would really like to know why this is happening. We should have the same rights through VPN as we do in the office. Any ideas? Thanks.

I'm getting the same issue with SQL password security as I am with Windows integrated security....any suggestions? I'm blocked....