Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: VB and Informix

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4

    Unanswered: VB and Informix

    Hi
    I have Windows 2000 installed, latest version of MDAC that goes with that 2.5, SQL Server 7 and I would like to run a ADO query to pull data from the Informix Server.

    I know nothing about this server, I do not have any Informix software installed.

    What is it that I need to find out about this server, What software do I need ?

    FCIB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    India
    Posts
    262

    Re: VB and Informix

    Originally posted by FCIB
    Hi
    I have Windows 2000 installed, latest version of MDAC that goes with that 2.5, SQL Server 7 and I would like to run a ADO query to pull data from the Informix Server.

    I know nothing about this server, I do not have any Informix software installed.

    What is it that I need to find out about this server, What software do I need ?

    FCIB
    Hi there,

    You could go thru this link and get some more info on Informix products
    http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/i.../pubs/library/
    You can also download trial ver. of Informix Server.

    Best Regards,

    lloyd

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    1
    I am new in VB and Informix, so i think it will be a great help if i can get your feedback about my inquiries concerning VB & Informix.

    i am creating a form using VB 6.0, and the database for the form is a serverbase type, Informix.
    the question is, if i wanted to save data from the form (VB) into the Informix database, are the SAVE command is still the same like we wanted to save data into MS Access?
    if there is a diffrent type of SAVE(command button)command to save data into Informix db, can u tell me more about it(some simple command will be helpful!!)

    here are some info that i think will help u to understand more abou my db structure

    User Connection name :db_Informix
    Data Link Propertiesname : Asta2
    Database name : gsp_manual

    Database Field:
    exp_no,Ref_no,Brch_name,Br_year,Br_ref,Scm,Hs_code ,Ctry_cd,Qty
    Tob,Dt_exp,Dt_rcv,Dt_creat,Dcs,User_id

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    India
    Posts
    262
    Originally posted by ejoi
    I am new in VB and Informix, so i think it will be a great help if i can get your feedback about my inquiries concerning VB & Informix.

    i am creating a form using VB 6.0, and the database for the form is a serverbase type, Informix.
    the question is, if i wanted to save data from the form (VB) into the Informix database, are the SAVE command is still the same like we wanted to save data into MS Access?
    if there is a diffrent type of SAVE(command button)command to save data into Informix db, can u tell me more about it(some simple command will be helpful!!)

    here are some info that i think will help u to understand more abou my db structure

    User Connection name :db_Informix
    Data Link Propertiesname : Asta2
    Database name : gsp_manual

    Hi ejoi,

    I have no hands on VB, i am an informix dba, btw could you download the trial ver.

    Regards,

    lloyd

    Database Field:
    exp_no,Ref_no,Brch_name,Br_year,Br_ref,Scm,Hs_code ,Ctry_cd,Qty
    Tob,Dt_exp,Dt_rcv,Dt_creat,Dcs,User_id

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    2

    Re: VB and Informix

    I use ADO to connect to an Informix database engine. I use the following connection string i.e.
    N.B. The servername for Informix follows the convention ol_xxx
    Dim strDBinfo as string, ServerName as string, DatabaseToUse as string
    'initialise ServerName and DatabaseToUse here
    strDBinfo = "driver={INFORMIX 3.80 32 BIT};" + _
    "server=" + ServerName + ";Host=" + Mid(ServerName, 4) + _
    ";Service=turbo;Protocol=olsoctcp;database=" + DatabaseToUse
    Dim DBcnn as new ADODB.Connection
    DBcnn.Open strDBinfo, strUserID, strPwd, adConnectUnspecified
    'were there errors?
    If DBcnn.Errors.Count <> 0 Then
    'Can't connect to database(?)
    'This also contains messages that may not result in the DBcnn.state being '1'
    Else
    End If
    'check the connection state
    If DBcnn.State = 1 Then
    'Is connected
    else
    'isn't connected
    End if

    Originally posted by FCIB
    Hi
    I have Windows 2000 installed, latest version of MDAC that goes with that 2.5, SQL Server 7 and I would like to run a ADO query to pull data from the Informix Server.

    I know nothing about this server, I do not have any Informix software installed.

    What is it that I need to find out about this server, What software do I need ?

    FCIB

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    2

    Red face Re: VB and Informix

    Sorry Connection string should be:
    ConnectionString = "provider=ifxoledbc;data source=" + DatabaseToUse + "@" + ServerName + ";db_locale=en_us.1252;client_locale=en_us.125 2;"

    Otherwise there seems to be a problem setting the ADO to nothing and the application crashes.

    Also it seems you can't use the ADOX object for getting error objects.

    Originally posted by lowson_i
    I use ADO to connect to an Informix database engine. I use the following connection string i.e.
    N.B. The servername for Informix follows the convention ol_xxx
    Dim strDBinfo as string, ServerName as string, DatabaseToUse as string
    'initialise ServerName and DatabaseToUse here
    strDBinfo = "driver={INFORMIX 3.80 32 BIT};" + _
    "server=" + ServerName + ";Host=" + Mid(ServerName, 4) + _
    ";Service=turbo;Protocol=olsoctcp;database=" + DatabaseToUse
    Dim DBcnn as new ADODB.Connection
    DBcnn.Open strDBinfo, strUserID, strPwd, adConnectUnspecified
    'were there errors?
    If DBcnn.Errors.Count <> 0 Then
    'Can't connect to database(?)
    'This also contains messages that may not result in the DBcnn.state being '1'
    Else
    End If
    'check the connection state
    If DBcnn.State = 1 Then
    'Is connected
    else
    'isn't connected
    End if

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •