Thread: Old Program

Unhappy Unanswered: Old Program

Thanks for checkin out this post, I hope you can help.

I have an OLD program that I need to edit the .dbf files on. I have been able to open the files in Excel and view the info but when I save the files back into thier folders the program locks up when it tries to read them.
    Is there an easy way to check out what a file was created with, so that it can be edited?
    Dont know if it helps, but the other extensions in the same program are .ntx and .mem. I dont know a lot about managing DB's, REALLY not much at all, but want to learn. Being able to modify this file will save me bookoo time.
    Any ideas your willing to give will be much appreciated.

Sounds like dBase II or III is the original file format. However, that does not mean you need dBase to fix them. I use another old DB tool that came with older versions of Excel called Q+E to edit old dBase files. Believe it or not after all these years, it still gets the job done and runs on all flavors of Windows to date.

This utility would do the trick for you, because it maintains the integrity of the original .ntx, (INDEX FILE), and .mem, (MEMO FILE), files, which the .dbf file needs to operate. Saving them with excel does not maintain the index and memo files integrity.

You should also be able to open them in Access without any problem to read them. However, I do not think it would be wise to convert of save them with Access.

Of course, I could be totally wrong !!

Thanks, I had tried Excel and Access. With both programs the "saved" version would not work properly. So you were right on that one. I'll look up that program and let you know.