Post Unanswered: DB2 user authentication

I HAVE INSTALLED DB2 V7.2 ENTERPRISE EDITION ON AWINDOWS PC.

AND INSTALLED RUN-TIME CLIENTS ON OTHER PC'S. WHEN I TRY TO ADD THE DATABASE RESIDING ON THE SERVER THROUGH CLIENT CONFIGURATION ASSISTANT...IT PROMPTS FOR THE USERID AND THE PWD TO ADD THE DATABASE ONTO CLIENT.

I DON'T WANT TO USE THE ADMIN PASSWORD WHENEVER I ADD THE DATABASES ONTO THE CLIENT OR WHILE CONNECTING TO THEM.

1)
    IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN ASSIGN PASSWORDS TO THE USERS I CREATED IN THE DATABASE AND GRANT DATABASE ADDING THROUGH CLIENT CONFIGURATION ASSISTANT BY AUTHENTICATING THEIR USERID AND THEIR SPECIFIC PWD ASSIGNED TO THEM.

2)
    IS THERE A WAY THAT I ASSIGN ALL THE USERS CREATED IN THE DATABASE TO BE ASSIGNED TO A GROUP I CREATE IN THAT DATABASE.

pLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS POSSIBLE AND IF YES...HOW TO DO IT?

THANKS,
    RAJ

Re: DB2 user authentication

First, I'm not sure at which stage of client cofiguration you were asked for a password ... So I have no comments on it ...

For authenticating the users , db2 relies on the operating system .. So, you do not have any users/groups within the database ... Depending on your environment, you can have either SERVER Authentication or CLIENT Authentication ...

To put it simple, in SERVER Authentication, a user's password is checked at the database server ... In CLIENT Authentication, the server mostly relies on the authentication mechanisms at the client ... It is little more complicated than this ...

Many sites use SERVER Authentication, in which case the client has to pass a user-id and password when connecting ...

Have a look at the manuals and come back if you have questions ...

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by raj_sudhan
    I HAVE INSTALLED DB2 V7.2 ENTERPRISE EDITION ON AWINDOWS PC.

AND INSTALLED RUN-TIME CLIENTS ON OTHER PC'S. WHEN I TRY TO ADD THE DATABASE RESIDING ON THE SERVER THROUGH CLIENT CONFIGURATION ASSISTANT...IT PROMPTS FOR THE USERID AND THE PWD TO ADD THE DATABASE ONTO CLIENT.

I DON'T WANT TO USE THE ADMIN PASSWORD WHENEVER I ADD THE DATABASES ONTO THE CLIENT OR WHILE CONNECTING TO THEM.

1)
    IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN ASSIGN PASSWORDS TO THE USERS I CREATED IN THE DATABASE AND GRANT DATABASE ADDING THROUGH CLIENT CONFIGURATION ASSISTANT BY AUTHENTICATING THEIR USERID AND THEIR SPECIFIC PWD ASSIGNED TO THEM.

2)
    IS THERE A WAY THAT I ASSIGN ALL THE USERS CREATED IN THE DATABASE TO BE ASSIGNED TO A GROUP I CREATE IN THAT DATABASE.

pLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS POSSIBLE AND IF YES...HOW TO DO IT?

THANKS,
    RAJ
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Post DB2 User Authentication

Hi Satyaram,

My DB2 server is on the windows XP system. I am using SERVER authentication for the database. I am trying to connect to the server from the runtime clients installed on other XP systems connected to the server.

When i want to connect to the database as we know i use

--> connect to <database name> user <username> using <password>

Here I am always using the admin username and its password to access the database.

1. I want to create a few other users to access the database and assign different passwords to each of the users so that they can connect to database with their own usernames and passwords.

2. And also i want to create several user groups so that i can assign previliges for accessing the databases for these groups . And take some users and assign them to specific group so that all these few users will have the same previliges assigned to that specific group rather than assigning previliges to each user.

I would be very grateful if you could let me know how to accomplish this ?

Thanking you,
    Raj

You might want to look at the DB2 Administration Guide: Implementation, in "Chapter 5. Controlling Database Access." You can find a link to download DB2 manuals in the thread above called "Useful DB2 Stuff."

Then after looking at the manual, you can ask any specific questions about something in the manual you don't understand.

User Authentication for access

HI,

I have gone through the manuals and what i got from the manuals is that the users who want to access the db2 database residding at the server must have the user accounts created on the server system.
    and given the required previliges at the users section in the database.

and i couldn't find any information on how to assign several users to certain group that is created manually which is other than system specified groups for ex: a group i created for the database sample which is "db2users"

is there any way i can avoid the creation of user accounts on the pc that is a server for db2 database but still accomplish the access to database?

Thanks,
    Raj

Re: User Authentication for access

There is no concept of users or groups within db2 ... For all user/group information db2 relies on the Operating System ... So, there is no way but to create OS users/groups for your users ...

It is not necessary the user has to be on the database server ... It can be in the domain list of users to which the db server belongs ...

My knowledge on how DB2 for Windows works with Windows security is very limited ..

Appendix E in admin - implementation guide describes DB2-M$ Windows Security

HTH

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.