Unanswered: Installation of DB2 8.1 FP2 client on a AIX BOX which is DB2 7.2 FP8 Server

Hi,
    We have requirement of Installation of DB2 8.1 FP2 client on a AIX BOX which is DB2 7.2 FP8 Server.
    This DB2 8.1 FP2 client needs to connect to a DB2 8.1 Fp2 server on a different AIX Box.
    Can you please let me now if this is feasible. If not what are the issues.

cheers,
    Prashant

Re: Installation of DB2 8.1 FP2 client on a AIX BOX which is DB2 7.2 FP8 Server

This is a possible setup ...

Just like you will install any other software, install V8 .... Create a v8 client instance using the v8's db2icrt and you are setup ...

Your V7 will have link to db2lib.a in /usr/lib ... So, when you want to use this library for a v8 application, make sure you point to the v8's libdb2.a

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by dahalkar_p
    Hi,
    We have requirement of Installation of DB2 8.1 FP2 client on a AIX BOX which is DB2 7.2 FP8 Server.
    This DB2 8.1 FP2 client needs to connect to a DB2 8.1 Fp2 server on a different AIX Box.
    Can you please let me now if this is feasible. If not what are the issues.

cheers,
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Hi Sathyaram,

Will it not overwrite the v7?
    if so, will the 8.1 client be able to do all that v7 client used to do with v7 server?

Please let me know ASAP.

cheers,
    Prashant

Overwrite ? Version 8 installation will not ...

v7 is installed in /usr/lpp/db2_07_01
    and v8 will be to a different directory (i think it is /usr/opt/db2_08_01) .. So no question of overwriting ...

There are limitations when using a db2 v8 client for a v7 server ...
    You may want to read, Release Information --> Incompatabilities between releases in
    http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...n=c0008880.htm

IBM recommends to migrate all servers to V8 before migrating the clients ...

HTH

Sathyaram

Originally posted by dahalkar_p
    Hi Sathyaram,

Will it not overwrite the v7?
    if so, will the 8.1 client be able to do all that v7 client used to do with v7 server?

Please let me know ASAP.

cheers,
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Best to upgrade to the latest version 7 FP (FP-10) on the srever if using a version 8 client.