Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4

    Question Unanswered: Problems setting up linked server

    First question.

    Even if you don´t need it, is it possible to set up a linked server between two SQL-db on the same server.

    Second question.
    I have a linked server wich I can use from Query analyzer to get information from the other db BUT when I try to use it from an application I get the message "Rollback transaction request has no corresponding Begin transaction"

    Could someone please give me a hint?!

    /Magnus

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    522
    what's your qry?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4
    Originally posted by ms_sql_dba
    what's your qry?
    Well I think that my questions were pretty obvious.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    522
    well, it's obvious alright. it's obvious that in your app you're trying to rollback after your action query, while in QA you're not.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4
    Originally posted by ms_sql_dba
    well, it's obvious alright. it's obvious that in your app you're trying to rollback after your action query, while in QA you're not.
    So far I am with you. But does not the linked server know how to handle rollback? Is there a special way to config. the server?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Village, MD
    Posts
    621
    Originally posted by mux666
    So far I am with you. But does not the linked server know how to handle rollback? Is there a special way to config. the server?
    I guess you have to use Distributed transactions for linked server.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4
    Originally posted by snail
    I guess you have to use Distributed transactions for linked server.
    Ok. What is it and how do I use it?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Village, MD
    Posts
    621
    Originally posted by mux666
    Ok. What is it and how do I use it?
    BOL:
    Distributed transactions span two or more servers known as resource managers. The management of the transaction must be coordinated between the resource managers by a server component called a transaction manager. Microsoft® SQL Server™ can operate as a resource manager in distributed transactions coordinated by transaction managers such as the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC), or other transaction managers that support the X/Open XA specification for Distributed Transaction Processing. For more information, see the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator documentation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •