Question Unanswered: Problems setting up linked server

First question.

Even if you don´t need it, is it possible to set up a linked server between two SQL-db on the same server.

Second question.
    I have a linked server wich I can use from Query analyzer to get information from the other db BUT when I try to use it from an application I get the message "Rollback transaction request has no corresponding Begin transaction"

Could someone please give me a hint?!

/Magnus

what's your qry?

Originally posted by ms_sql_dba
    what's your qry?
    Well I think that my questions were pretty obvious.

well, it's obvious alright. it's obvious that in your app you're trying to rollback after your action query, while in QA you're not.

Originally posted by ms_sql_dba
    well, it's obvious alright. it's obvious that in your app you're trying to rollback after your action query, while in QA you're not.
    So far I am with you. But does not the linked server know how to handle rollback? Is there a special way to config. the server?

Originally posted by mux666
    So far I am with you. But does not the linked server know how to handle rollback? Is there a special way to config. the server?
    I guess you have to use Distributed transactions for linked server.

Originally posted by snail
    I guess you have to use Distributed transactions for linked server.
    Ok. What is it and how do I use it?

Originally posted by mux666
    Ok. What is it and how do I use it?
    BOL:
    Distributed transactions span two or more servers known as resource managers. The management of the transaction must be coordinated between the resource managers by a server component called a transaction manager. Microsoft® SQL Server™ can operate as a resource manager in distributed transactions coordinated by transaction managers such as the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC), or other transaction managers that support the X/Open XA specification for Distributed Transaction Processing. For more information, see the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator documentation.