Unanswered: Help with Expressions

Hi Everyone,

I am attempting to create a report that will return a numerical value from a query when the field is populated and a text string when there is nothing in this field. I have tried doing this with an expression in the report to no avail. What is the syntax for this type of expression?

I have been using something like this:

[numeric_value] or “text”

Where “numeric value” is a field in the query.

Thanks for your help.

You could try: YourReportTextBox = Nz(]numeric_value], ""), just make sure you haven't formatted your box a certain numerical way. I don't think you can format "" numerically. Alternatively you could Nz([numeric_value], 0) and hide the textbox when it is zero using the Detail_Format event.

HTH
    All code ADO/ADOX unless otherwise specified.
    Mike.

Originally posted by HomerBoo
    You could try: YourReportTextBox = Nz(]numeric_value], ""), just make sure you haven't formatted your box a certain numerical way. I don't think you can format "" numerically. Alternatively you could Nz([numeric_value], 0) and hide the textbox when it is zero using the Detail_Format event.

HTH
    Thanks Mike,

I have tried both of your suggestions and am now seeing “#Enor” in the report for that value. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? Thanks for your help and sorry about the newbie questions.

Can you provide a more detailed property listing of your textbox, i.e., the value, format, control source, enabled, etc. Not everything, just the helpful ones.

BTW, there was a syntax error in my first Nz example, Nz(] instead of Nz([.

Additionally, I don't know if I was explicit, the control source should be:

=Nz([numeric_value], "")

Please note the = sign.

No worries for the perceived experience level on the question, this is a common question and Nz is not an overly well-known function like IIf.
    Mike.

I’m not sure if this is the information you are looking for but here it goes:

Value = 1-5 or Null
    Format = General Number
    Control Source = “=Nz([Field], “”)

The “Field” is a field in my query that will have a numeric value from 1-5 or nothing at all.

I hope this is useful. Thanks again for you help. Let me know if there is any other info you need.

Re: Help with Expressions

Try setting the ControlSource for the text box on the report to something like this:

=IIf(IsNull([numeric_value]), "Text string", [numeric_value])

OM Gang

Originally posted by Crypto
    Hi Everyone,

I am attempting to create a report that will return a numerical value from a query when the field is populated and a text string when there is nothing in this field. I have tried doing this with an expression in the report to no avail. What is the syntax for this type of expression?

I have been using something like this:

[numeric_value] or “text”

Where “numeric value” is a field in the query.

Thanks for your help.

Crypto,

There may be another problem then. I just created a table with values 1 through 5 and three nulls, then created a form and a report using control source =Nz([Field], "") and it seems to work. If you want to zip-post your db, let me know and I'll take a look at it.
    Mike.

Thanks for your help guys. I wish I could send you the DB but the customer is very protective of the data. I will continue to work on this issue and post my findings.

Thanks again.