Unanswered: connecting through a router

Dear sirs:

I have installed Oracle 9i in a W2K server, and I can acces it from any workstation in the LAN (by installing Oracle Client).

I cannot understand why I am not able to connect from an "external" PC with the same Client and configuration.
    This external PC is accesing from the Internet through the port number 1521 of the router, which is open and redirected to my Oracle server.

The client error says sometingh like (is in spanish) "connecting... Ora-12535: TNS: operation timed out. The connection failed".

Is this a normal issue? Other databases (like SQL Server) are working fine on that server without doing anything else...

I would be very grateful if somebody can write a line with a comment.
    Last edited by yogurtu; 09-10-03 at 15:05.

Yogurt,

please post what errors you are getting as well as the listener file (from the host) and the tnsnames (from the client)
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Hi yogurtu,

Oracle initiates it's *first* connection on port 1521 (or another port as you specify) but at this connection it negotiates a new port for subsequent work. This is much like FTP, initial connection on port 21 but actual file transfers on a different port as negotiated. There are many posts on usenet about "can make an ftp connection but can't transfer files" - it's the same problem.

When using an external connection you will have to ask the network guys (in charge of the firewall/router configuration) to deal with this. Depending on your router/firewall you may configure this as local side connection destination or actual traffic content (less secure). You can also force Oracle to continue subsequent communication on the original (1521) port or force it onto a range of specifically configured ports, but without reading the docs I couldn't tell you how.

Your best bet is to google for "Oracle and Firewall", this should get you the information you need.

P.S. If you find out how to configure WinGate for this, please let me know :-)

Hth
    Bill
    Last edited by billm; 09-10-03 at 19:44.

You need to set the use_shared_socket=true in the registry under
    HKLM\Software\Oracle\ and then restart your listener. This will cause Oracle to behave like it does under UNIX. You can also do the same using MTS, do a search on metalink for 'firewall NT MTS'.

Alan

Hi alanP, I am afraid there is not any "use_shared_socket" in that place. I do not know if this is by the version of Oracle (9i) ?
    I was searching "socket" in that branch without success...

You have to add it if itsnt already there.

Alan