Question Unanswered: Is MySQL suitable my my application? Help!

Help! Life or Death hangs in the balance...well, maybe not quite that severe, but this newbie needs some expert direction with a project, please.

I have a VB6 project I'm working on that will be the front end to a database. To date, I've been able to stick with MS Jet (& DAO) as my database of choice because the number of shared users and num. transactions were very small. This time, however, I'm looking at having up to 30-40 users sharing the database, and although the transaction volumes will not be high (2-3 per minute) I've been hearing that Jet will surely barf and cause much grief in this situation. I've also heard that Jet is far less stable than other db's when it comes to users losing their connection during a transaction. I'm guessing most of the guru's will suggest learning and using SQL server, but this appears to be a daunting and expensive task. I'll do it if necessary, but I would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding this issue, as well as:

- Does MSDE provide more stability than Jet and would it be suitable?
    - What about MySQL? Good experiences with this one or is it simply evil?

Also, related to this project: would a database like Jet have a problem with 30+ users sharing it to simply retrieve recordsets (read only)?

Thanks a bunch...any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Peter

Re: Is MySQL suitable my my application? Help!

I have not used MySQL much, but I have heard that it is very good ..

In my opinion, you should not use Jet for a multiuser system as it cannot handle transaction loads efficiently ... Now you say you have grown to 30 user system ... may be in a year, the number may grow to 60 ... So, it is prudent to switch over to another database right now

Provided Answers: 1

Originally posted by pjme7154
    Help! Life or Death hangs in the balance...well, maybe not quite that severe, but this newbie needs some expert direction with a project, please.

I have a VB6 project I'm working on that will be the front end to a database. To date, I've been able to stick with MS Jet (& DAO) as my database of choice because the number of shared users and num. transactions were very small. This time, however, I'm looking at having up to 30-40 users sharing the database, and although the transaction volumes will not be high (2-3 per minute) I've been hearing that Jet will surely barf and cause much grief in this situation. I've also heard that Jet is far less stable than other db's when it comes to users losing their connection during a transaction. I'm guessing most of the guru's will suggest learning and using SQL server, but this appears to be a daunting and expensive task. I'll do it if necessary, but I would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding this issue, as well as:

- Does MSDE provide more stability than Jet and would it be suitable?
    - What about MySQL? Good experiences with this one or is it simply evil?

Also, related to this project: would a database like Jet have a problem with 30+ users sharing it to simply retrieve recordsets (read only)?

Thanks a bunch...any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Peter
    Well, I've seen Access handle 20-30 users simultaneously with a mix of DELETE/SELECT/UPDATE but it had a rough time... This is possible but it's just planning for disaster at some point.

I'd suggest you plan for the future and start using a real RDBMS. MySQL will easily handle the load as would Oracle, DB2, MS-Server, Informix, Sybase, Interbase, etc...

Biggest advantage of MySQL over all those is its price, incredible speed, memory footprint, portable on a zillion platforms, excellent community support (documentation, mailing lists, newsgroiups and IRC channels) and ease of use... Biggest disadvantages: no views, triggers and UDF. But most of that (Views and UDF) are planned for version 5.

I've worked on lots of different projects with DB2, GemStone, Oracle, SQL Server and MySQL and I can tell you MySQL would have done the job in most of them...

Give it a try and try to use "standard" SQL and ODBC so if you ever need to switch to another RDBMS solution, it'll be pretty easy.

Hope this helps.

Thumbs up Re: Is MySQL suitable my my application? Help!

Great, thanks a ton for the information! Is MSDE any sort of contender at all or should I just forget about it?

Thanks again!
    -Peter

Originally posted by pjme7154
    Great, thanks a ton for the information! Is MSDE any sort of contender at all or should I just forget about it?

Thanks again!
    -Peter
    I'd say forget abou it. Use ODBC and MySQL. Simple solutions always save you a lot of headaches...

Question

Since you have so much experience with MySql application development, I was wondering if you knew anything about the MySql transaction level commits and rollbacks. Specifically, is there a way to create a transaction in mysql and not have it automatically commit if the connection is unexectedly terminated.

Originally posted by marest
    Since you have so much experience with MySql application development, I was wondering if you knew anything about the MySql transaction level commits and rollbacks. Specifically, is there a way to create a transaction in mysql and not have it automatically commit if the connection is unexectedly terminated.
    Nope... All RDBMS I know will issue a ROLLBACK if your connection dies...

And also note that transactions are available in MySQL with the BDB and InnoDB table handlers only. I've experimented a lot with InnoDB and it's solid as a rock and works like a charm.