Unanswered: Access 2002 and Timestamp values

I am trying to import some tables from and oracle 8.17 server into access. It appears that access 2002 will not take in the timestamp values. In each record in the timestamp column it says "not an OLE object".
    Here is my situation: I have to run some cross-database queries in an oracle database. However, due to legal/warranty issues, I am not permitted to create a DBLink in the server. Therefore, I figured I could use access to bring in those tables that live in different servers, run my query in access and export the results of that query to an excel spreadsheet, which is the final output I need.
    I need to have that timestamp value, it is part of this query.
    If there is nothing I can do about this Access/Timestamp issue, how can I get around this problem?
    - Are there any other tools I could use to import those tables?
    - Would a VB app tackle this problem?

Thanks.

Daniel Wajnberg
    Analyst
    Accenture

Re: Access 2002 and Timestamp values

I guess, you are using the OLE DB provider 8.1.7, but you have an Oracle 9i server, which introduced the TimeStamp datatype. Try to get a 9.x OLE DB provider!
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler! - A. Einstein
    DB Problems? DB Explorer, BTrieve Re-engineering, DB Conversions & ETL? Conversion Tool

Unhappy Access 2002 and Timestamp values

Thanks for your suggestion.
    Yet, I don`t think I quite understand what you are saying.
    I am already using Oracle Client 9i, but upgrading to a 9i server could potentially cause my entire application to crash, and that is just not feasible, because it is live and transacting more thousands of dollars each event. Plus, I don't think I would ever get permission to change the version of the server, and if I ever got it, the bureaucracy would just take too long. SAP and Accenture are involved in this. I need to get this solution out ASAP, there has to be a workaround.
    Do you have any other suggestion besides upgrading the server?

Thanks.

Re: Access 2002 and Timestamp values

Nope, the 8.x driver just don't handles the 9i timestamp datatype. In my case, the driver even crashed every time, I tried to open a table with that timestamp field in it. I had to make a view, excluding that field.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler! - A. Einstein
    DB Problems? DB Explorer, BTrieve Re-engineering, DB Conversions & ETL? Conversion Tool