Unanswered: online full backup taking forever to complete

I run daily online full DB2 database backups and usually they take 2 hours at the most to complete. For some reason the backup this morning has been running for over 3 hours! Any reasons why this would happen? How can I get this hung backup back to normal state? Thanks

Scott

Re: online full backup taking forever to complete

It sometimes happens depending on other load on the system ... This sounds an I/O slowdown ...

What media are you using ? TSM? Disk ?

If using TSM, use the dsmadmc to check if the data is being written to it and at what rate ..

If using disk, check using iostat ...

These commands should tell you whether the backup has slowed down for some reason or it has stalled ...

If you want to stop the backup, force the backup application id in db2 ... Otherwise you can Unix kill the process (remember, not the instance owned db2agent process, but your backup command's process, say backup.sh) ... Ideally, your tablespaces will come back to normal state ...

HTH

Sathyaram
    Originally posted by mixxalot
    I run daily online full DB2 database backups and usually they take 2 hours at the most to complete. For some reason the backup this morning has been running for over 3 hours! Any reasons why this would happen? How can I get this hung backup back to normal state? Thanks

Scott
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

thanks

it most likely was a I/O or hardware resource issue. It ran in 3.5 hours versus the standard 2 hour window.