Unanswered: ODBC Connection to Access 200 is Suddenly Slow

I have a PC running Windows 2000 Pro SP2. It is used to run an IVR applicaiton (where people phone in, press keys on the touchtone phone to update a database).
    It has 1GB of RAM
    It has been running fine for about a year. The IVR application writes to an Access 2000 database that is about 14MB and hasn't chaned siginificantly in size. I have compacted/repaired since this problem occured to no avail.

The database is accessed by many methods using ODBC; the IVR application, A Web Interface using perl, and a program called ODBC Test that makes a connection and allows you to execute SQL commands on the database. Of course you can also access the database directly using MS Access.

Since 2 days ago any method of accessing the database via ODBC has become VERY slow. But if i open the database directly via MS Access and run a sql query it is still superfast so it seems only the ODBC connection is the problem.
    There is no network issues involved, everything is on the same machine - even the web interface.

Additional info

oops, didnt mean to post quite yet.

Here is what has changed since everything was working fine:

another ODBC connection was created to a progress database on another computer on the WAN - however this connection is not in use, it just was created

That is all I can think of -
    by the way if i create a new access database with 1 table and 10 records and create an odbc connection to it using my ODBC test program it is slow too. takes 5 to 10 seconds to display
    select * from tblPrice

Thanks,
    Tom

try restarting your computer.

i tried that, didnt work

But the problem has mysterioulsy vanished.

My IVR vendor suggested it might be that when the ODBC tries to connect and someone else is connected from the LAN, it tries to do a reverse lookup of their ip address which is 192.2.1.x

The DNS server is our ISP and our vendor thinks instead of replying that 192.2.1.x is an invalid address, it fires it to other DNS servers until finally it responds to the ODBC query.

Any thoughts?

the fix...we think

the problem re-appeared and we think we have it beat... for now.

The ODBC connection was writing to a log file and it was 40MB
    We stopped logging and deleted the log file and so far so good.