Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Procedure performance

I'm working on SQL code that basicly runs a complex SELECT statement with subqueries to report datastatus as of a given date, after verifying parameters. The code is designed to accept NULL values in all the parameters.

When I run the code through query analyzer using variables (all set to NULL), the process completes in under 30 seconds.

When I run the exact same statement in a stored procedure, replacing variables with parameters that default to NULL, the process runs for ten minutes or more without completing.

Here is the FROM clause:
    FROM Contract
    inner join Account DealerAccount on Contract.ContractSubmitterAccountID = DealerAccount.AccountID
    inner join Account HolderAccount on Contract.ContractHolderAccountID = HolderAccount.AccountID
    inner join Claim on Contract.ContractID = Claim.ContractID
    inner join ClaimAuth on Claim.ClaimID = ClaimAuth.ClaimID
    inner join (select ClaimID, max(ClaimAuthSeq) ClaimAuthSeq from ClaimAuth ClaimAuth2 where ClaimAuthDt < @iDateTo or ClaimAuthDt is null Group by ClaimID) MaxClaims
    on ClaimAuth.ClaimID = MaxClaims.ClaimID
    and ClaimAuth.ClaimAuthSeq = MaxClaims.ClaimAuthSeq
    left outer join (select ClaimID, Account.AccountID PayeeAccountID,
    Account.AccountNo PayeeAccountNo, Account.AccountName PayeeAccountName, sum(Payment.Amount) PaidAmount
    from ClaimPaysheet inner join Payment on ClaimPaysheet.PaymentID = Payment.PaymentID inner join AccountLedger on Payment.AccountLedgerID = AccountLedger.AccountLedgerID
    inner join Account on Payment.PayeeAccountID = Account.AccountID
    where AccountLedger.BusinessPeriodDate <= @iDateTo
    Group by ClaimID, Account.AccountID, Account.AccountNo, Account.AccountName) TotalPayments
    on Claim.ClaimID = TotalPayments.ClaimID
    left outer join Account CarrierAccount on Contract.CarrierAccountID = CarrierAccount.AccountID
    Where Claim.ClaimStatusID = 'OPEN' and ClaimAuth.Amount IS NOT NULL and datediff(dd, Claim.ReceivedDate, @iDateTo) <= @iDaysPending and isnull(TotalPayments.PaidAmount, 0) < ClaimAuth.Amount and Contract.EffectiveDt between @iFromSaleDate and @iToSaleDate

This is a new one on me. Any suggestions?

blindman

Provided Answers: 11
    Was the first run of the procedure done with non-null parameters? I am wondering if add "with recompile" will help there.

Tried recompile. Tried statistics. No difference.

I can probably solve this by breaking it down into parts, but it is still curious that the code would run order of magnitude slower as a procedure than through Query Analyzer.

blindman

Yes, it is curious.

Try making indexes for :

Contract.ContractSubmitterAccountID
    Contract.ContractHolderAccountID
    Account.AccountID
    Claim.ContractID
    ClaimAuth.ClaimID
    Payment.PaymentID
    ClaimPaysheet.PaymentID

ClaimID, Account.AccountID, Account.AccountNo, Account.AccountName

Claim.ClaimStatusID

Claim.ReceivedDate

Contract.EffectiveDt

and taking care to make first the joins for the tables with less data

Hope it helps

The tables are well indexed, and the logic runs in a reasonable length of time through Query Analyzer.

blindman

Gee blindman, what a construction! Isn't there a chance to let a small and efficient clause come out of it? Just kidding.

Obviously, the Query Analyzer makes another execution plan, than you get in your compiled stored procedure. I wonder if that plan can be extracted somehow.

I didn't understand your clause, but I wonder if there is a chance to force a given plan by putting some joins into a view or making some hints?!
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler! - A. Einstein
    DB Problems? DB Explorer, BTrieve Re-engineering, DB Conversions & ETL? Conversion Tool

If you'd read my second post, I am breaking it into smaller parts, and I expect to get better performance out of it or at least be able to narrow down where the problem is.

blindman

have you tried enabling generation of execution plan with and without nulls for your parameters? this is just to eliminate the possibility of generating different plans for different set of parms. if the plans are different, try to put (index=index_name) and see if this makes any difference. it is odd, and it surely sounds very much like a healthcare related. is this your business?