Thread: Query problem

Unanswered: Query problem

Hi - I wonder if what I am attempting can be done.

I have created a database that stores course evaluation data. Users enter the course, date attended and answer a survey using a likert scale.

I am trying create a query to get averages by a date range. I would like to combine all of the results retrieved for a specific course within the date range into one average. The problem is that the query that I created pulls results for each date and the averages are listed separately.

See attached screen capture. You will see that I would like to combine the results from 09/05/2003 and 09/10/2003.

SELECT Results.Course_Title, Avg(Results.Content) AS AvgOfContent, Avg(Results.Design_1) AS AvgOfDesign_1, Avg(Results.Design_2) AS AvgOfDesign_2, Avg(Results.Design_3) AS AvgOfDesign_3, Avg(Results.Instructor) AS AvgOfInstructor, Avg(Results.Perceived_Value_2) AS AvgOfPerceived_Value_2, Avg(Results.Perceived_Value_1) AS AvgOfPerceived_Value_1, Count(Results.ID) AS CountOfID, Results.datebox
    FROM Results
    GROUP BY Results.Course_Title, Results.datebox;

Thanks for your help,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails query_results.gif  

Re: Query problem

Originally posted by speeddreamer
    Hi - I wonder if what I am attempting can be done.

I am trying create a query to get averages by a date range. I would like to combine all of the results retrieved for a specific course within the date range into one average. The problem is that the query that I created pulls results for each date and the averages are listed separately.
    Try this:

SELECT Results.Course_Title, Avg(Results.Content) AS AvgOfContent, Avg(Results.Design_1) AS AvgOfDesign_1, Avg(Results.Design_2) AS AvgOfDesign_2, Avg(Results.Design_3) AS AvgOfDesign_3, Avg(Results.Instructor) AS AvgOfInstructor, Avg(Results.Perceived_Value_2) AS AvgOfPerceived_Value_2, Avg(Results.Perceived_Value_1) AS AvgOfPerceived_Value_1, Count(Results.ID) AS CountOfID, Max(Results.datebox) as Begin_Date, Min(Results.datebox) as End_Date
    FROM Results
    GROUP BY Results.Course_Title;

That more like it?
    Jim P.

Supoorting Oracle, MSSQL7, Sybase 8, & Pervasive. Confusion Reigns