Unanswered: Standalone Write Conflict problem-deseperate

I've read other posts but can't seem to find any solution with my situation. I am running an Access 2000 database, no connection to another rdbms.

My appl. has one data-entry form, and only I am using it now. Not always but quite often when I edit data in one of the fields and hit the Save button or Next Record, then I get this error.

I'm at a loss. I've looked at solutions but most require you use SQL Server or an Access Project or both, i.e.: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;280730. We just have Access.

Any ideas or other solutions out there. I'd be glad to give more details if needed. Thanks.

Can you specify exactly which error you are getting?
    Andy Briggs
    Elmhurst Solutions Limited
    Database Development and Consultancy
    http://www.elmhurstsolutions.com

Please see the attachment.

This application will be used by multiple users when ready, so if you have any tips on how to prevent it in that situation, I'd appreciate it too. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails error.jpg  

Sorry, didn't see the attachment!!

I believe your problem may be caused by a corrupted Memo field. The way that these fields work is that the data in them is stored separate to the table itself; the Memo field in the table merely contains a pointer to the data. What can happen is that this pointer gets broken, and the error you are getting is the symptomatic indicator of this.

Now for the bad news: Microsoft released an update to the Jet engine for Access 97 which would fix this problem - and would fix any database already affected - but I don't know whether there's one available for later versions. However, I hope this has given you an idea as to what the problem is. If, of course, you don't have any Memo fields in your tables, then I'm wrong about the cause!!

Good luck and best wishes

Originally posted by tarasios
    Please see the attachment.

This application will be used by multiple users when ready, so if you have any tips on how to prevent it in that situation, I'd appreciate it too. Thanks.
    Andy Briggs

I do have 2 memo fields in the database and on the form I am using. How would you reset the pointers or fix this? Thanks for the tip.

BTW, the error message reads:
    Write Conflict

This record has been changed by another user since you started editing it. If you save the record, you will overwrite the changes the other user made.

Copying the changes to the clipboard will let you look at the values the other user enterd, and then paste your changes back in if you decide to make changes.

Save Rocird Copy to Clipboard Drop Changes (all buttons)
    Last edited by tarasios; 09-15-03 at 12:08.

You can't reset the pointers, unfortunately; it's an internal problem within the mdb file. The only thing you could do would be to delete the memo field from the table and re-create it, but of course you'd lose any data in it. Mind you, you could always append its data to a temporary table and then re-append it when you've re-created the field by using an Update query. You'd need to put the primary key from the table containing the Memo field into the temporary table as well, so that you could "match up" the contents of the records for the Update. I hope this makes sense!!

BTW, the error you're getting is exactly the one you get with a broken Memo field, so I think we're on the right track.
    Andy Briggs

Thanks a lot, I will have a chance to try and fix it today.

Unhappy

Sorry this is late, had a hurricane here,a ctually was a tropical storm by the time it hit my area. Anyway.

I copied the 2 memo fields' data to a temp table and manually fixed the data in the temp table. Also deleted the 2 memo fields from the primary table and recreated them in design view. I then tried 2 things. 1. copying the data from the temp table to the primary table and 2. Copying fixed data to Notepad to get rid of any formating and copying it back to the primary table.

In the 1st try, the data seems fine ( no strange looking squares mixed in with the text) but keep getting the Write Conflict message after about 3-4 attempts to edit data in the primary form.

In the 2nd try the data I copied from Notepad back to the primary table was "re-corrrupted" (squares re-appeared). I have almost 400 records now and don't want to re-type everything due to time constraints.

I do notice that when I get the Write Conflict message, I can "x" it out. Nothing happens to the data but I can then make the changes I need without another error popping up.

Any ideas what is going on? Thanks.

Hi Tarasios,

Sorry to hear you're still having problems. What I would do is to compact your database using the Microsoft A2000 compact/repair utility, available at http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;273956

You may well find that this fixes the memo field problem. Good luck!!
    Andy Briggs

anyone figure this out? I am having the same problem!