DECLARE @lastUpdatedTs datetime
    DECLARE @table NVARCHAR(50)
    DECLARE @transID INT
    DECLARE @userID INT

SET @table='Employee'

SELECT @userID = lastUpdatedBy,
    @lastUpdatedTs=lastUpdatedTs
    FROM inserted

INSERT INTO AUD_tracking VALUES(@table,@lastUpdatedTs,@userID)
    SET @transID=@@IDENTITY

Every time this triger fires it always reads the same value for userID and lastUpdatedBy. It's like 'inserted' table is not even affected by my UPDATE statement while @oldvalue and @newvalue that I populated the other table with (Tracking details table) are just fine.

What could it be?
    Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    Your trigger fires once for each operation, even if many records were updated. Try this more common syntax:

INSERT INTO AUD_tracking (Table, LastUpdatedTs, UserID)
    SELECT 'Employee', LastUpdatedTs, LastUpdatedBy
    FROM Inserted

Tip: I like to add a field to my audit table where I can store the Primary Key of the affected records so that I also know what was altered. Sometimes, I even store the before and after values. It makes a thorough paper trail that has proven helpful in diagnosing problems and averting blame.

blindman

Originally posted by blindman
    Your trigger fires once for each operation, even if many records were updated. Try this more common syntax:
    Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry for giving a confusing information. This was only a beginning part of the trigger. It is followed by the part for updating each and every column. Also I am creating two tables: one that I already mentioned and the other one with tracking details(oldvalue, newvalue, etc.).

As for the timestamp amd userID being the same, I just noticed that lastUpdatedTs and lastUpdatedBy doesn't change on update in the original table either. At least when I simply run update with QA.
    So I guess I have to go back to this on Monday.