Unanswered: Take pity on a PL/SQL newbie-help!!!

This is so dumb! I am enrolled in an Oracle SQL/PLSQL course and I have just downloaded 8i at home so I can practice. I can't login! I get the usual window prompting for user name, password and hoststring, just like in class, but when I installed the software at home I don't believe I was ever prompted for these items! Help!!!! How do I login for the first time? Thanks so much for any help!!!

Question

1) Did you create a database?

2) If you did, try the following id's:

scott/tiger or system/manager

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Hi, thanks for the reply -- I didn't create a new database, just the "preinstalled" sample database. I tried both of those users and passwords (AND some others) and I just can't get in. I know there is an application where I can create a user, but I don't know where -- if you can believe it, we don't have a book with the class! Just a CD with the personal install on it, along with some release notes! If you have any other suggestions, send 'em on!!
    Thanks again,
    Karen

Question

Are you using sqlplusw to logon?
    Are you getting any error?
    Is the database running?

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Hi,

I am using Oracle SQL*Plus -- this is the message I keep getting when I try logging in as "system/manager":

ERROR:
    ORA-12560: TNSrotocol adapter error

I am VERY new to Oracle/SQL -- the only database experience I have is Access, which I am told doesn't count (LOL) and I know next to nothing about networking.

Thanks for any help!

Karen

Lightbulb

Seems your database is not running.

I'm not very familiar with Windows, but try starting the database.

There is a Tool under the oracle directory to do this.

Try looking here (Names might differ):

Under Start>Programs>Oracle - OraHome81> there is a Database Administration or Database Management directory and under that you will find a tool with a similar name.

This tool is used to start/stop (and do other stuff) to the database.

Good luck.

There