Unhappy Unanswered: DB2 Multiple Versions Co-Existence

Hi,
    Can anybody please tell me if I can have lower levels of DB (like DB2 V7.2 ) along with newly released DB2 V8.1? I know that DB2 V7.1 can co-exist with lower versions of DB2. But is it true for DB2 8.1 also? I could not find any genuine answer for it the DB2 V81 reference materials.

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks in Advance.

Sunnny

Re: DB2 Multiple Versions Co-Existence

IBM Manuals say :

With UNIX(R) servers you can have different DB2 versions on different database manager instances. For example, you can have one database manager instance running DB2 Universal Database Version 7.1, and another running DB2 Universal Database Version 8.1.

Visit

http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...n=c0006723.htm

Strangely, this bit of information is in the application dev area rather than in the admin area of the manuals
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Thanks for your reply Sathya. Appreciate your quick response.

Tnanks.
    Sunny.

Originally posted by dbforums
    Hi,
    Can anybody please tell me if I can have lower levels of DB (like DB2 V7.2 ) along with newly released DB2 V8.1? I know that DB2 V7.1 can co-exist with lower versions of DB2. But is it true for DB2 8.1 also? I could not find any genuine answer for it the DB2 V81 reference materials.

Thanks in Advance.

Sunnny
    Hi,

using 2 different releases of DB2 on same server is a bit difficult. One problem is the usage of the administration server. This one listents at v7.2 and v8.1 at port 523, without any ability to change. So just one of them can be active. I do not know if 7.2 clients run without any problems on V8.1 admin server.
    It gets even more difficult, when using the Warehouse Manager, cause Agents running on 7.2 do not work with 8.1.

rené

As pointed out rené, only one version of admin server can run on a server ... It has to be noted that an administration server can communicate only with the same version of database instance ... ie, a v7 admin server cannot be used to 'contact' v8 isntances ...

There are a number of sites which run multiple versions of db2 on the same server, but many of them are in transition phase ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by antarctica_03
    Hi,

using 2 different releases of DB2 on same server is a bit difficult. One problem is the usage of the administration server. This one listents at v7.2 and v8.1 at port 523, without any ability to change. So just one of them can be active. I do not know if 7.2 clients run without any problems on V8.1 admin server.
    It gets even more difficult, when using the Warehouse Manager, cause Agents running on 7.2 do not work with 8.1.

rené
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Red face Re: DB2 Multiple Versions Co-Existence

our system : AIX(4.3.3)

I installed multiple version of DB2.
    The resent level is Verion 8.1
    along with ver 7.2 and ver 6.1.....
    but after installing the DB2 and creating instance, there may be a problem.... because of confusing their environment.

when you create instance, you inspect its environment(user configuration).

for example =>
    env | grep DB2
    env | grep PATH
    vi .profile

in my case, there is a link as the below.
    /usr/lib/libdb2a -> /usr/lpp/db2_06_01/lib/libdb2.a

it must be unlinked. so you can create instance at any version.

But be careful. my environment is on a test. but if your system use as a real system, you consider there is a Stored program or programing using libdb2.a (for instance, C ( CGI), Cobol...and so on..)
    you know if you are administrator, it is difficult to know if the programming use the library(at any version).

(sorry, my Enlgish is poor)

can you understand it??

Originally posted by dbforums
    Hi,

Thanks in Advance.

Sunnny

Yes ... that is a point to note ...

IBM provides scripts to link and unlink the libraries ..

Under the installation library you will find db2rmln and db2ln ...

HTH

Sathyaram

Originally posted by atrest
    our system : AIX(4.3.3)

I installed multiple version of DB2.
    The resent level is Verion 8.1
    along with ver 7.2 and ver 6.1.....
    but after installing the DB2 and creating instance, there may be a problem.... because of confusing their environment.

when you create instance, you inspect its environment(user configuration).

for example =>
    env | grep DB2
    env | grep PATH
    vi .profile

in my case, there is a link as the below.
    /usr/lib/libdb2a -> /usr/lpp/db2_06_01/lib/libdb2.a

it must be unlinked. so you can create instance at any version.

But be careful. my environment is on a test. but if your system use as a real system, you consider there is a Stored program or programing using libdb2.a (for instance, C ( CGI), Cobol...and so on..)
    you know if you are administrator, it is difficult to know if the programming use the library(at any version).

(sorry, my Enlgish is poor)

can you understand it??