Unanswered: Newbee - Export with a relationship

Hello,

I am sorry my english is not very good. But I will try to explain my problem.

I work with FilMaker Pro 5.0 F v3.

I have 2 files : "Order File" and "Customer File".

In the "Order File" I have fields with the address of the customers. These fields are individual related fields from the "Customer File".

For normal use, everything is OK, and the 2 files works well.

But I need to export the datas contained in the "Order File" (to feed a MySQL database). I export the fields I need with the TAB format... and the content of the related fields does not show in the exported text. It's very frustrating.

I am a newbee with FP5, and cannot see what to do.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Michel Limbour

If use the same relationship you're using for export, and draw a portal on the layout, do you see records in the portal?

Is the relationship based on a global field?

When you specify which fields to export, are you choosing fields from the correct relationships? (are you sure you're not accidentally choosing fields from the wrong relationship?)

--

On a seperate note, if you're trying to populate a MySQL database, you would probably be better of creating several export files - one from each FileMaker file/table. That way, you can load the data into the corresponding MySQL tables one by one, which would probably be much easier than loading them all into a temp table in MySQL and then distributing them into the appropriate tables. Also, it would probably be easier from the FileMaker side of things for you to just export from each individual table/file as well. Good luck!

Originally posted by marianopeterson
    ... When you specify which fields to export, are you choosing fields from the correct relationships? (are you sure you're not accidentally choosing fields from the wrong relationship?)
    Thank you, Mariano. That was the problem. I am accustomed in doing export from simple files and did not notice that I had the choice of the relationship to use. I now use fields from the correct relationship and everything goes well.

--

On a seperate note, if you're trying to populate a MySQL database, you would probably be better of creating several export files - one from each FileMaker file/table. ...
    Sure Mario. But the system has to be used by people that knows nothing to computing. Thus I prefer to make a single file to export and do the work of spliting the files in the PHP script that feeds the MySQL database.

Thank you once again.

Michel Limbour

Yes, good plan for simplifying the user interaction.

By the way, did you know that PHP can interact with FileMaker? There is a class that has been written (the FX class, by Chris Hansen, available for free at www.iviking.org ) that abstracts the http/xml communication layer between the two. As a PHP programmer using FMP, it coud be useful.

Glad I could help

Mariano

I did not know of that class. I went to the site www.iviking.org and downloaded the package. I already saw that there is a translation in french in the folder, and for me it's good news ;-). When I have time I shall have a closer look at it. Thank you for that information.

Michel Limbour