Thread: Performance

Question Unanswered: Performance

Ive recently updated and deployed a reasonably large FMP system. Performance of their solution on my machine via Citrix is acceptable, however, some users are reporting processes that took 2-3 seconds before the upgrade now take 30 seconds. They also report processes are taking longer as the day goes on.

The files the processes are working with have hundreds of thousand of record (were looking at archiving next), and obviously adding a few calc fields (which I did) will cause an extra overhead. However, as the performance is fine for my local copy of the system, or on their copy on my machine via Citrix, Im a little perplexed.

FMP Server is on a top-of-the-range machine (not sure about FMP clients yet), and their network is suitably appropriate. Has anyone else had this problem before? Is there anything network related I should be looking out for?

If your end users are experiencing slowness that you are noticing across citrix, then I can only guess its either a network congestion problem or backup problem you're not experiencing because a) the citrix server might be on a highspeed, short-hop connection from the FM server, and possibly circumventing network congestion, or b) you are not accessing the system during the same periods of network congestion as the users.

Are the end users connecting via Citrix as well? If they are, then there is a whole slew of other problems that could be occurring. Since many users would be taxing the same CPU, if one user performs a lengthy find, sort, or print then the other users will experience dramatically reduced performance until the lengthy process is done. To help prevent these run-away processes, you can install process limiters like AppSense on the Citrix server. AppSense allows you limit the CPU usage a process can have, allowing for a more even distribution of CPU usage amongst the users. You can check for CPU bog downs by monitoring the CPU usage. Also, printing on Citrix can slow things down as well. Also, how is the Citrix optimized?

If your end users are not using Citrix, then are there any network intensive applications installed in the domain, like Lotus notes? Applications that hog network bandwidth can really reduce FileMaker performance.

Have you changed the FM Server lately? If so, how do you know the server is top of the line? FM Server is drive intensive, but not too processor or memory intensive. So, the server should have a fast drive, preferably an Ultra SCSI drive (as opposed to IDE).

Have you re-written the processes the users are complaining about? Is it possible your code may not be optimized in those routines, or that it is simply performing many more functions now than it used to?

Thanks for your help.

FM Server has changed but it is top of the line.

The end users are not using Citrix so I'll look into the points you raised there.

Smile

You're welcom, I'm just glad to be able to try and help. I hope my suggestions actually lead you down the right track!

If the end users are not connecting via Citrix, there are a couple of other things that could be the culprit:

Is the Citrix server on the same machine as the FM Server?
    Is FileSharing enabled on the FM Server? (Since FM Server is drive intensive, concurrent disk read/write requests from network users could slow it down as well).
    What other applications are running on the FM Server?
    Is the FM Server a Windows or Mac machine? (If its a Mac, is the server application running in the foreground when the slow downs occur?)
    What is the backup schedule like? (Does that occur during the slow downs?)
    What type of process are the users triggering when the slow downs occurr?

Good luck!